28

Rye

A month later

Things went to absolute shit. I had been inactive on socials for over a month now, the boys making up for it. We hadn't uploaded a cover for two months, having posted the other prerecorded ones. Andy didn't seem to get any better, and Jordan tried everything he could to try and talk to me. I got the hospital staff to ban him from seeing Andy. I know, it sounds over the top, but I just couldn't risk anything. He tried one last thing, wanting me to hear him out when I went to get something from my car.

"Please, Rye. Just listen to me for a minute," he said.

I huffed, not looking up at him. I scrolled through my phone as he spoke.

"I'll turn in Javier."

I scoffed, not believing him for a split second. "I thought you guys were like, joined at the hip or something? Why would you do that to a friend?"

"Because what he did was wrong," Jordan replied.

"And cheating on me wasn't, huh? Breaking me wasn't wrong?"

I walked away, leaving him standing alone in the car park.

"Hey, baby. Jordan is still trying to talk to me, and he can't take a fucking hint. He says he'll turn in Javier, but I don't even believe him. You really see the absolute best in the worst people, don't you?" I smiled to myself, closing my eyes as I held his hand. The cast for his other arm was going to come off next week, his other injuries taking a little longer to heal. Some time into his coma, Andy suffered a minor stroke, affecting the span of time he'd take to wake up. Niamh told me there'd been some bleeding inside and rushed him into an emergency operation.

I felt my eyelids getting heavier, having not slept much last night. So when I felt Andy's fingers twitch ever so slightly, I jumped up. Had I dreamt that?

Of course I did. His eyes remained closed and he was completely still. I sighed, resting my head next to Andy's on his pillow. I ran my fingers through his soft hair, the blonde starting to fade out now.

"Hey, Rye," Niamh said, walking in.

"Is it normal for him to be moving a little right now?"

She looked up from her notes and glanced at Andy. "He's definitely a lot more stable than before, but it would be uncommon as of right now."

"I probably just imagined it, but his fingers moved. Isn't that a sign he's getting better?"

I could tell she wanted to say yes, but deep down I knew what the answer was.

"I'm honestly not sure yet, Rye. Andy's injuries were really bad and I want to say how long it is until he wakes up, but I have no clue. I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "It's okay, it's not your fault."

"You know, the guy that had been driving the car? He looks genuinely sorry," Niamh said with a small smile.

I laughed. "Oh, trust me. It's just a facade. He'll make you think it's all genuine, then fuck everything up when it seems to be going well."

"I know he hurt you, Rye," she said. I'd told her about us. "But maybe you should give him one more chance. He looks like he really wants to help you guys."

I looked behind Niamh and speak of the devil. Jordan walked in, phone in hand.

"Rye, she's right. I really do want to help you and Andy. This doesn't mean you have to forgive me, not at all. But hear me out. What if I call Javier? I'll say I was in the crash and you can track his call. We'll do it at the police station."

Niamh nodded, and I sighed. "Fine. Tomorrow, 3pm. Don't you dare be late or fuck it up," I growled.

The next day

I checked the time. 2:57. He had three minutes to get to the police station. I was a little surprised when I did see him running down the road, face red and sweaty.

"Sorry. I'm here now."

We got set up inside, the interceptors ready to track the call. (A/N I'm going to make this stuff up, so it's going to be from my imagination😂)

"This may be our only window, so try and keep him talking for as long as possible," DCI Gates said to Jordan. He nodded, finding Javier's phone number. I shoved a piece of paper with a sort of script on, just as nervous myself. The phone rang a few times before someone picked up.

"Jordan?"

The interceptors started, and I nodded.

"Uh, yeah."

"Where the fuck have you been?" Javier said through the phone. "You were supposed to leave Andy then come back as soon as possible."

"We got into a crash. I'm coming back up tonight. Where are you right now?"

"What do you mean? Where else?" There was a pause, before he spoke again. "I'm still in the city, just in a cafe. Why?"

I nudged Jordan to speak. "I was just wondering."

"I'm in a cafe, then I'm going to go to the gym," Javier said.

Why would he go to the gym knowing people are looking for him?

"Alright, then. I'll see you later."

I heard Javier laugh derisively. "Well, no, you're not. Because I know what you're up to, you little back stabber."

I shot up, and DCI Gates was just as concerned. "Keep going!" He mouthed.

"W-what are you talking about?"

"Oh, come on. You don't think I know I'm being tracked? By the way, nice try. I'm not even in the city anymore. Oh, and hey, Rye!" He hung up, leaving my blood boiling. The interceptors huffed, the call having been too quick.

"You couldn't even manage that?!" I yelled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know he'd catch me out!"

"Might as well have just told him from the beginning!"

I stormed out with Jordan still shouting after me, his voice fading away as I made my way back home.