•43•

• April's POV

My phone was buzzing and I flew my eyes open to see who was calling me this early in the morning.

/\/
Ap : Auntie?
Au : April, it's me, Dan, my mom... mom had... she had an accident.
Ap : What?! Daniel? What do you mean?
Au : April she would want you here! Please come she's in a coma_
/\/

I heard my cousin sob through the phone but the call got ended.
What did he mean?
I heard my phone buzz again.
It was Dan, he had sent me the address of a hospital.
I felt my cheeks get wet without realizing.
What was I supposed to do?!
I grabbed a backpack filled it with random and necessary things, left and knocked on Ayla's door.
"April?" Malcolm rubbed his eyes.
"Malcolm I've gotta hurry but... I... I won't be here for a few days. I'll be in Toronto. Okay?" I didn't wait for him to say anything. I just ran for the taxi station.

"One... one economy class seat!"

-Time Skip-

After 4 hours and 25 minutes I arrived at Toronto. It was 5:37. I was now sitting in an uber to the hospital. I felt so guilty. I left Malcolm shocked at the door and my phone was on airplane mode.
I switched my phone to normal and I was bombarded with hundreds of texts and calls.
/\/
A : Hey Malcolm. I'm so so so sorry for leaving you like that. My aunt had an accident I had to take a flight to Toronto where I am now ASAP. I'm safe.
/\/
I don't know why I wrote the last part. Heh.
The uber stopped at the destination, I payed an ran into the hospital.
"How can I help you?"
"Anne Doe... which room is?... I mean_"
"Are you family?"
"Daughter." I obviously lied.
"Room 538."
"Thanks."

535. 536. 537. 538!

"April! I'm so glad you're here!" Dan said.
"Hey... how's auntie?" I asked as I looked at her weak body lying lifeless on the bed.
"No news..." He started sobbing.
"Where is your father? That crackhead." I mumbled the last part as I brought up my hands in fists.
"He went home to bring her some stuff."
I nodded and sat beside the bed.

"Auntie... I know you can hear me. I love you... you're the strongest person I know... You care for me more than my parents did... or at least the amount they showed... don't leave me... I swear I will make you proud... we can sit on the swing in your yard, you'll give me one of those glasses of your famous banana-milk and I will drink it in less than a minute... then I will probably attempt to wipe my milky lips with my sleeves but you'll stop me and wipe it clean with a tissue._"
My phone buzzed and I went out to pick it up.

/\/
Ay : Oh shit. Thanks god! April are you okay?
Ap : Yeah...
Ay : Your aunt had an accident? Is she okay now?
Ap : She's unconscious still. How about you guys?
Ay : It's probably not the best time to say this...
Ap : What has happened? Ayla tell me!
Ay : I'll... I'll tell you when you're back, actually you'll find out yourself.
Ap : Please tell me it's good news at least.
Ay : Uh... uh... sorry Jack needs help, call you later, bye!
/\/

It's definitely bad news.