The Ghost Slayer Return

Edited Version Two, By llamawhowrites.

-Shen Wei-

Under Zhao’s firm command, Shen Wei had no other choice but to let the monk escort him outside of the office that he had been kept in, and quietly be lead through the corridors. He knew that this time, it was inevitable to meet Zhao Yunlan as Professor Shen Wei. The circumstances had forced him to slay the demon who had been sent from hell to search for him, braking the wards of the teacher’s dorm in which he resides.

Although he knew fully well that the sudden attack in a place with a strong protection ward was nothing more than a cheap trap arranged by his twin brother trapped in hell, he could not help but fall for it. It was not in his nature to let innocent humans be slaughtered by such a heinous creature just to keep his identity hidden from the man he wanted to protect.

Being imprisoned in the deepest part of the underworld never stopped Zun from setting him up, randomly. Shen has always been careful when fulfilling his duty as the Ghost Slayer; always trying to keep his energy hidden when hunting down those who crossed the border and dared to break havoc in the human realm. He was aware that Zhao knew he was active somewhere, always hunting ghosts or demons in the shadows, never too far, yet never too close either. But this time he wasn’t able to sense the demon breaking the protection wards of the University on time, thus unable to prevent involving himself as Professor Shen Wei.

By the time he had sensed the demon, it had already broken the wards and had started making havoc in the dorms. He barely had enough time to prevent the poor, injured night guard from getting killed by the hungry demon. The commotion caused by their unexpected fight had already attracted the attention of a few of his colleagues, and was thus, forced to use his energy more than usual and slay the troublesome demon before he could be discovered; marking the kill as his, without any doubts.

He knew that this time, the damage caused by the demon’s release, by Ye Zun, would attract Zhao Yunlan like a moth to the flame, because there was just no way would he let pass such an opportunity to investigate a case that could lead him to finding more about the elusive Ghost Slayer of legends. He had work hard in pulling off his disguise as a scholar through the years, teaching traditional Chinese, with a vast knowledge of history, which allow him to work as the Ghost Slayer when in need, but outside the Order of the Guardians radar and away from Yunlan.

However, that was all in the past, because he could not avoid the coming of the Chief Guardian to him, the gentle Professor who only taught Traditional Chinese in the Dragon City University. So he quickly approaches the other Professors and claims to have come out of his room to see what had caused all the noises, blending in effortlessly.

That way, he could avoid giving explanations to the Chief Guardian, about his disappearances for long periods of time, because the gods knew he could not tell the man he had loved for centuries the reason he was lost to humanity for such a long time. Because he loved him so dearly, it was better if he never find out about his curse or how he got it in the first place, back in the time of the war between demons and gods.

In all, he expected Zhao to show up at the possibility of finding the Ghost Slayer, but it seems he had underestimated Yunlan’s recognition of him. Chief Zhao’s grand entrance had been made with a ‘Xiao Wei’, followed by the obvious interest Yunlan had for him. He was sure, that even if Kunlun had unconsciously stir inside the Chief Guardian when in his presence, making Zhao call him by the sweet name, he had not awake. His human reincarnation, however, was now shamelessly flirting with a ‘stranger’ like him, making him wonder why he felt such impulse.

Offering him to join the Order was an offer, he had to resist for more than one reason. One, because only those whose names could be writing by the brush of virtue could join the order, meaning only those who could reincarnate and had souls could join. Thus, as the Ghost Slayer, Guardian of the Underworld as well as a tainted half-god who cannot be reincarnated, he could not join the Order. Second, because of who he was, attempting to write his name name with the brush of virtue was forbidden. He didn’t even know what could happen to the ancient book if he ever try it.