I Just Wanna Talk

At school, all I thought about was our upcoming mission, as was Peter. I could tell by the way he kept spacing out and was always checking the time. But mostly because he kept texting me about it when we weren't in the same class where we could just talk about it.

But he also texted me in AP calculus, but only because we were across the room from each other. Speaking of which, we had a bunch of random teachers come in and substitute for the class after Cuffman was arrested. But I'll take a million different teachers with many different styles over him any day.

After school, I went to Peter's apartment instead of going to my own. We walk in and right away, May runs into the living room where we had just had entered. "Reece!" She gives me a hug, a huge smile spread across her face.

"Hi, May." I giggle at her excitement, squeezing her back.

May pulls away, smiling back and forth between Peter and I. "For the record, I'm glad it was you." She's talking about Peter and I dating, and now I realize why she was so excited to see me.

"Ah, May!" Peter complains, obviously embarrassed.

"What?" May turns to Peter and smiles softly at him as she wraps her arm around my shoulders. "This is our Reece were talking about."

"I know." Peter chuckles, shaking his head.

"But if you hurt him," May begins, looking down at me. "I will kill you." She then looks up at Peter before I get a chance to respond. "And if you hurt her, I'll kill you too." May tells her nephew. "Just don't hurt each other and nobody dies!"

Peter and I laugh, nodding along. "You don't have to worry, May." I assure her.

"Not at all." Peter agrees.

We then find ourselves in Peter's room, him closing the door behind him. But just as he moves to sit next to me on the floor, May walks in. "Door open, okay?"

Peter raises his eyebrows, obviously confused. "Really?"

"I know I'm a cool aunt, but there's a line between being cool and being responsible." May informs us, leaving the door wide open as she walks out of the room and back into the kitchen.

Peter sighs, turning his head to look at me. "So this is why we didn't anyone at first..."

~~~

We knew where the bad guys were going to be and when. All we had to do was perform a surprise attack, probably fight them for a bit, and essentially, hopefully, win.

Easy... Right?

It was in the lower part of New York, and we had all traveled there together. Apparently some Hydra soldiers have been spotted hiding out in this old science lab that was no longer put to federal use. This was also the first time I was wearing my superhero suit and it was pretty awesome. Tony even gave me an ear piece so I could talk to him and Dana upon command.

When we arrived, we had split up into two groups: James, Peter, and Tony in mine, Nat, Vision, Thor, Loki, and Bruce in the other. My group went through the front of the building while the other group entered through the back, and we figured we'd meet somewhere in the middle if we didn't end up running into trouble.

My group made our way easily through the building, but all of us alert and ready to strike if need be. We walked down long halls and made our way through empty rooms. "Why is this so anticlimactic?" I ask since clearly no one else was going to.

Tony shrugs. "It's not the worst thing that could happen."

"Yeah, right." James comments. "You two know better, they are here and they know we are too."

"So, what? They're hiding?" Peter questions.

"Wouldn't you?"

We continued to make our way through the abandoned lab. But just as I was about to announce that this was totally bogus, we heard loud laughter coming from the next room. All of us stand up a little straighter, exchanging glances.

"I'll go in first." Tony whispers, making his way to the closed door. Peter never takes his eyes off of me, moving to stand right next to me. In moments like these, I would normally grab his hand and squeeze it, but that didn't seem too professional. This was basically my occupation afterall. Plus, I don't think Tony is fully on-board with Peter and I being together yet. But Tony'll get there eventually because he can't break us up.

Tony slowly opens the door, looking around before stepping into the next room. I follow close behind him, Peter right behind me, and James right behind him. The room was huge, random storage boxes and shelves filled it. But the middle of the room was open and spacious, except for the long metal table sitting in it. And in front of that table stood two large men, coated in armor.

We crept towards them, hiding behind stacks of boxes and loaded shelves. But then Peter goes and trips over a small box, stumbling forwards and knocking over a bigger box, creating a loud banging noise.

Peter then freezes, that 'oh shit- what did I just do' look on his face. Tony stares intensely at Peter, obviously peeved at him. "Seriously?!" He whispers.

"Sorry..." Peter responds, his voice quiet as he goes to slowly pick up the box and put it back.

I look back at the two men and they've obviously heard the noise as they gaze around the room. "Okay, they already know we're here..." And Tony moves out of the way of the shelf and walks to the center of the room.

"What the hell is he doing?!" I exclaim in a whisper, watching as the two men stare intensely at Tony.

"Hey, guys!" Tony exclaims to the soldiers, full of confidence. I don't know how he does that, my god. "What's up?"

"We should join him." James decides before stepping out his hiding place as well.

I turn to look at Peter and he's already looking in my direction. I hate that stupid mask he's got on because I can't read his expressions or emotions in these situations. I take a deep breath, holding my hand out to see if he'd take it in his. And he does, he takes my hand, squeezes it, and together we emerge from our hiding spot.

The soldiers watch us with blank looks on their faces. Then randomly, completely out of nowhere, they start laughing. Like, full on bending over, hysterical laughing. My group exchanges glances with each other, each just confused as the other. "What?" Tony asks, his helmet contracting back into his suit so his face was exposed. "Was it something I said?"

But the soldiers only laugh harder, as if Tony was some sort of comedian telling them the funniest joke they've ever heard. But before any of us could do anything, the other half of the Avengers come running in from the back door, on the opposite side of the room.

They stop just a few feet away from the soldiers, just as my group is, just on the other side of the room. The soldiers turn their heads to look at the other group, continuing to laugh.

"Uh, what's happening?" Nat asks, gazing over at Tony. "Are you doing this?" He acknowledges the laughing idiots.

Tony shakes his head, his eyebrows furrowed. "I have no idea what's happening."

"Hey!" Thor yells loudly in attempt to get the soldiers attention so they'll shut up. "Hey!" But it doesn't work at all whatsoever.

"Smooth, brother." Loki comments, an evil smirk plastered on his face.

"That's it." Tony speaks, obviously annoyed. At the same time he raises his arm, his helmet is over his face again, protecting it. He points his fist at the soldiers and a small rocket emerges from it, heading right towards the two men.

A small blue force field then appears around the two men just as Tony's rocket emerges with it. The soldiers were protected by it, out of harm's way. And now I understand why they were laughing. "That's not gonna work!" One soldier exclaims, his Russian accent thick.

"Yeah, that force field is incredibly thick." Bruce explains, him being the smart scientist he is. "We'll never get through it."

By now the Hydra soldiers have calmed down, now just smiling at their victory. "Alright, that's fine." Tony responds, putting his fist down and deactivating his helmet once again. "I just wanna talk..."