Don't Acknowledge The Past

Unfortunately, the building I would be meeting my mother at was only about a block away from my apartment building. This meant that once my grandmother left to go to the grocery store, all of the Avengers would be at my house.

They all came at one time, touching everything and going through my fridge. "Who's this?" Bruce asks, holding up a picture of Will and I that sat on the coffee table in a black picture frame.

"No one." I said with frustration, grabbing the picture and placing it nicely back on the table. "Stop touching everything and sit down."

"Hey, Reece!" Thor yells from the kitchen and I have to quickly make my way over to him, trying to get through all the people.

"What?" I ask as I finally enter the kitchen.

He was standing next to the counter, a plate of two pieces of bread in one hand and a knife in the other. "Do you have any mayo?"

"What are you doing?" I ask, taking the knife from his hand and throwing it into the sink.

"I'm making a sandwich." He explains, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"What? No." I take the plate from him before pushing him out of the kitchen. "Go sit down and stop touching everything."

I threw Thor's plate into the sink and stomped back into the living room to find Tony. My apartment was small and there were lots of people so it was hard to move around. And once I spotted Tony, I walked right up to him. "Tony, everybody's making me more stressed than I already am!"

"Okay, okay, calm down." Tony puts his hand on shoulder and turns to look at everyone. "Alright, everyone!" He announces and everyone slowly goes silent. "Let's discuss the plan again."

"You mean the plan that mostly involves Reece?" Loki points out, his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah." Tony breaths, glancing in my direction. "That plan."

"Wait, where's Peter?" Natasha asks, gazing around the room, looking from left to right.

"That kid with the tights?" Thor questions.

"He'll be here in a second." I respond, ignoring Thor's comment. Peter has to pretend like he's going to school for May's sake, so he can't leave his house for another three minutes.

"Okay, while we wait for Peter, go get your suit on. We'll leave as soon as he gets here." Tony instructs, nudging me in the direction of my room.

I decided not to argue as I made my way to my room and closed the door behind me. Getting changed took me a lot longer than it probably should have, but only because I kinda started freaking out. The idea of meeting my mother after ten years and having no idea where she ran off to was really starting to get to me.

I didn't think she was evil when I was little, and I didn't even think she was all that cruel after ditching me and leaving me with my grandmother. I just thought she was sad and scared after losing my dad...

But now? She's supposed to be considered one of my worst enemies? My head was spinning.

Soon, as I had only gotten my pants on, I hear a knock at the door. "Reece?" And thank god, it was Peter.

I run to the door, yanking it open and I fall into his arms immediately. He acts fast, catching me and holding me against him. And I squeeze him back. "Reece?" He looks down at me, curious and worried.

"I can't do this." I blubber, squeezing Peter tight.

Peter sighs, picking me up, bringing me inside my room and closing the door behind him. "Put me down." I complain, trying to push away from him.

Peter laughs lightly at my sudden mood change, bringing me to my feet. "Don't freak out on me, okay?"

"Don't freak out?" I cross my arms, squinting at him. "Don't freak out?!"

He shakes his head. "Never mind, you have every right to freak out."

I take a deep breath, tears welling up in my eyes. "I don't know what to do..." My voice cracks, although it's already quiet and distant.

"I'm sorry..." He shakes his head, tears in his eyes as well. When I'm upset, he gets upset too. "Asking you alone to do this is cruel."

I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand, sniffling. "I just... this is my mother."

"I know, I know." He whispers, taking a hold onto my hand and squeezing it. "And she's working for Hydra..."

I wipe my eyes again, pulling away from Peter to take a seat on my bed. I take a deep breath, rubbing my hands through my hair. "It's just... weird, you know? This is the same woman who used to hold me... sing me to sleep... And now?She wants to use me and would probably kill me if I get in her way."

Peter moves to sit next to me, never taking his eyes off of me. "She's not your family anymore." He reminds me. "We are. I am." I finally look up at him, both of our eyes red. "And I care if you die."

I nod slowly, giving him a small smile. "I care if you die too." I tell him. "So don't."

"Sure, as long as you don't." Peter shrugs, returning the sad smile. "I know this is gonna be hard, and I know we shouldn't put you through this."

I sigh, nodding. "But..."

"But, just don't think of it that way. Don't acknowledge the past. She's isn't your mother, Reece. Not anymore."

"You're right." I agree, giving him a single nod. "My mother died a long time ago."