No More Heartache

(Peter's POV)

There was no doubt that I was still in love with Reece, and when I hugged her, I hadn't noticed that it slipped out of my mouth until she told me she loved me back.

I don't know if she feels the same way I do, or if she just loves me as a friend... but either way, we had become close again and that made me happy. I took a step back and Mr. Stark cut in front of me to also give Reece a hug.

"Okay, I think my two minutes are up." Reece announces as Mr. Stark pulls away. "Do you think they've found her yet?" She asks anxiously with obvious concern.

I was scared for Alex as well. What will happen after this? Will she be okay? Does she know Reece's true identity? Will she still want to be friends or will she tell everyone Reece's and I secret? I was scared about a lot at the moment.

"Let's give them a call." Mr. Stark suggests, pulling his phone out of his pocket. He then looks in Reece's direction and motions for her to leave. "Go check if the doors are unlocked or not."

"K." She nods before jogging off in the other direction and out the conference room.

"James?" Mr. Stark then asks into his phone. And I can obviously hear only one side of the conversation so it's all pretty vague. "You got her?" He pauses to listen. "I don't know... is she hurt?" He waits again. "Okay, drop her off at the hospital. We have to see what kind of information Lea told her." Another pause, and that's when Reece comes back into the room. "Okay... bye."

"We're free." Reece announces, walking towards us. "What'd they say?"

"They've got the kid, but Lea got away. They're dropping her off at the hospital and James is going to stay there to look after her and to see if Lea put any needed information into her brain." Mr. Stark explains, looking between Reece and I.

I can visibly see Reece's tense shoulders relax out of the corner of my eye. "Is she okay?" She asks, worried.

"Just a few minor injuries." Mr. Stark assures her. "But we can never be too careful, right?"

Reece breathes, nodding slowly. "Yeah..."

Mr. Stark raises his eyebrows, his gaze lingering on her face. "She'll be okay."

"I know, I know." Reece waves it off, shaking her head. She then turns to me, forcing a smile onto her cheeks. "I'm glad that's over... So, now, come on, Peter, let's go get a snack!" She grabs my hand and pulls me with her, excited to eat as always.

Tony stays behind in the conference room to do whatever it is he does. When we get to the kitchen, Reece opens the cabinet and pulls out some peanut butter. "PB&J?" She asks, looking in my direction.

I grin at her as I slide into one of the stool seats at the counter. "You really love that American sandwich, huh?"

She laughs, nodding vigorously. "You Americans really know how to make a mean lunch."

I laugh along with her and everything feels normal. Everything feels okay again. Even though we just went through a really tough, unexpected mission that left Reece in several panic attacks and tears, somehow our friendship seems to make it out alive. And that's what I love about us.

Reece makes both of us a sandwich and she sits next to me when we eat them. "Oh, hey!" I then remembered something I wanted to ask since I got here. "When did you get a cat?"

Reece starts laughing hysterically. "Now, that's a fun story." She then goes on to explain how she adopted her cat, Nox, in a park from walking home with Alex. "You can officially meet him after we eat." She tells me.