Fifteen| family ties.

Aubree

Aubree.
Saturday

I stood in the kitchen wiping off the counter after making lunch for Ariel. Today was supposed to be my day to relax but she begged for a grilled cheese with turkey and ham in it. My sister is like the most bougie four-year-old that you'll ever come across. That's kind of my fault though.

Her 5th birthday is in a couple months and I know I'm going to be broke because like every year, I go overboard. I'm going to have to try for something simple with my hours being cut. I hate going to work now.

Mr. Thomas bothers me every single day! I haven't told Chris, I know he's going to flip whenever he does find out though.

The front door opened and closed.

"Aubree." Jermaine yelled excitedly. "Aubree! Where you at?!"

"I'm in the kitchen, what's going on?"

He rushed in there with two thick envelopes with USC on them. That was his and Jeremiah's top school choice. They've been waiting forever for this to come. Well I don't know if this is still something Jeremiah still wants. It's been a month and I haven't heard from him.

"I'm too nervous to open it." Jermaine pushed it towards me. "Can you do it?"

I nodded while picking it up then peeling back the fold. "Let's see." I pulled out the letter at the front and read over it, then looked up at him. "I'm sorry Maine."

His face dropped. "Damn....it's cool, I'm still waiting on a couple other sch-."

"YOU GOT IN!!!!!!"

He exhaled while holding his chest. "Man Aubree why you gotta play?!"

"I just wanted to do that. I'm sorry." I went and hugged him and kissed his cheek. "They offered you a full ride and want you to play football for them. This is so exciting Maine."

"It is. I'm so happy." He looked over at the other package. "That's for Miah. I'm guessing he got accepted too."

"Yeah, so he's been in school like he's supposed to?"

"Yeah, but he acts like he doesn't know who I am. I see he's been spending his money recklessly too. He got a brand new car a bunch of diamond chains. Buys his girlfriend a bunch of shit."

I sighed. "Where did I go wrong with him?"

"I really wish you could talk to him. He needs somebody to talk some sense into him."

"He doesn't want to listen to me so.....I can just pray for him."

"Aubree you gotta talk to him, cause I feel like if nobody saves him, he's going to end up in a bad position."

I looked at his package on the counter. I didn't want my little brother to self destruct. He can hate me all he wants, even though it's for no reason. I'm still going to look out for him.