🍃9🍃

6/8/18

6/8/18

Yoongi sat on his knees in front of the spindly plant that he had discovered that morning. It didn't appear to be a weed but then again you could never know until you looked at all the details. The leaves arched up in a pennate type shape, similar to that of a fern. He mumbled something to himself before pulling out his leather bound notebook and small pencil. He quickly flipped it open and proceeded to write out the detail he had observed.

Yoongi poked the patch of dirt around the plant. It was dry, meaning the plant could survive without much water. After writing it down Yoongi checked the color, which was a darkish green, and wrote that down too. There appeared to be pale purple flowers budding near the center of the plant. The way the buds were forming meant they would have thereabout five petals that would be oval shaped. Yoongi smiled. He was getting close to discovering the species.

Doing this always gave him a rush of adrenaline. He didn't know what it was that gave him that rush but he knew he liked it. He guessed it was the thrill of making something unknown to him known. He didn't get to determine things like this that much anymore. He usually had to buy things pre-determined and the only other plants around were common field weeds.

It used to be so easy to go out and just see a plant that he didn't already know and take the time to look into it. It's not as easy now that he's living out in the middle of nowhere, being shunned by his father in a house full of store bought plants.

Yoongi let out a sigh and continued the task at hand. He didn't want to make himself depressed while doing his favorite activity. It would be ages before he could do this again. Yoongi pushed back some of the leaves so he could see the stem. It had thin, hook shaped prickle type things that appeared to be clinging to his shed.

"So, these help you climb, huh?" He said excitedly, the detail may seem minor, but to him it opened a whole new world of options. "So, your leaves are a darkish green, with a pinnate shape, five, maybe seven, leaflets per leaf. You're about two meters tall so I'd say you're just developing. Your buds are just sprouting so I'm assuming you'll flower soon or later in the summer. Maybe some fruit in the fall? So, what are you?" Yoongi tilted his head, "My best guess for the moment is you're part of the Rosa genus. Am I right?" The plant didn't respond, it just swayed slightly in the breeze. "I'll take that as a yes."

Yoongi's head snapped towards his neighbor's house as the backdoor screeched open. A tired looking boy stepped out in a pair of jeans and white t-shirt with a green plastic watering can in hand. He walked over to the planters that were built alongside his house and poured the water out onto a few of the bushes that had been there long before the boy had moved in. Yoongi had been hoping that the new neighbor would bring new landscaping with him but it appeared that he was content with the way things were.

Yoongi mentally groaned as he saw the mound of weeds that were beginning to perk up in the planters just a few feet from where the boy was watering. The boy apparently hadn't been weeding or maintaining the beds as Yoongi previously had. The bushes were growing chaotically and the weeds were in a state of disarray. Not to mention there was little to no color. All the flowers had died off by the time Yoongi had gotten his hands on the plant beds, leaving the dull green bushes all on their own. Yoongi knew there was no convincing his father that buying new plants for the house next door was worthy of the money he'd have to spend on them so there really was no other option other than to maintain the bushes as best as he could and keep it weed free. It was disappointing to see all that hard work go down the drain by a boy who looked like he was twelve.

The boy yawned and moved towards the weeds and started watering them. Yoongi stared at him, mouth hanging open. His mouth quickly snapped shut as the corners of his lips began to move upwards. This was too funny. It was just what Yoongi needed to further brighten his mood. A small giggle escaped his lips and before he knew it, laughs were pouring out of him like a waterfall. Just as quickly as the waterfall started, it slowed and Yoongi's laughs were now just little sounds in the air. The tiny amount of time the laughs had been audible was long enough for the boy to have heard them and crane his neck around to look at Yoongi, whom was refocused on his work, the smile still lingering on his lips.

"Hey!" The boy shouted, unwillingly dragging Yoongi's attention away from the Rosa in front of him. "What's so funny?"

Yoongi scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion, "I'm sorry?"

"You were laughing at me. What's so funny?"

"I don't believe I was laughing."

"You were." The boy moved back towards where he had been standing previously, "I was watering these," He pointed to the weeds, "and you started laughing at me."

Yoongi let out a small, "Oh." Before a "Pfft.." and then subsequent laughter.

"See!" The boy said, frustratedly.

"I'm sorry." Yoongi said still laughing, "It's just- it's just.. Those are weeds!"

Jimin looked at them and back to Yoongi, "That's funny?"

"Of course it is. It's just so obvious that they're weeds. They aren't tall or thick enough to be anything but weeds."

The boy looked down at what he now knew were weeds and took a second to properly look at it. The boy looked back at Yoongi again who was poking at the buds on his plant.

"So, these are really weeds?"

"It has to be a Rosa, right?"

"Excuse me." Yoongi's head turned back to look at the boy who was pointing at the weeds, "These really are weeds?"

Yoongi looked at the greenery down the hill and nodded before going back to his own plant.

The boy looked dumbfoundedly down at the weeds for the third time and bent down to pull them from the soil. He was absolutely embarrassed to have made such a mistake. Especially since he was trying to ease his way into talking more with his neighbor. He was hoping removing the weeds would help him never make that mistake again. It was making him far too anxious over whether his neighbor thought he was an idiot or not.

As he was pulling the weeds he heard a shout of, "Rosa canina!" which he assumed was his neighbor and went back to removing the weeds. The boy looked back up the hill and said, "Hey, I'm-" but was immediately cut off by Yoongi's back door slamming closed. The boy sighed, so much for that attempt.

Word Count: 1211