🍃23🍃

6/19/18

6/19/18

“So, a memory disorder, huh?” Jimin said, leaning on his elbows.

Yoongi nodded, pouring tea from a china teapot with gold paint rimming every edge into tea cups which matched the pot. The storm had stopped and moved forward overnight, leaving only a damp fog in the morning. As the day progressed, the fog moved out leaving a gorgeous day behind. The sky was a bright blue and there were hardly any clouds left.

Jimin had left Yoongi’s house at about the time the fog started to recede, giving Yoongi time to clean up the mess the storm made on his porch before tea time. He had managed to get most of the broken limbs and leaves off his porch just in time to set up a small table and prepare tea. That was the easy bit. The hard bit sat right in front of him, wanting to know more about the thing that Yoongi had never wanted to discuss before.

“It’s called Anterograde Amnesia.”

“What is Anterograde Amnesia exactly?”

Yoongi wrapped his hands around the warm cup, “The inability to make new memories.”

“So, whatever happens at this table, you probably won’t remember in the future?”

“Most likely.”

“How do you know you have this if you can’t make new memories?”

“I’ve always been acutely aware of my memory disorder, even though I can’t remember being diagnosed with it. A huge sign that I had it however was when my roots kept showing even though I thought I only dyed my hair blond two weeks prior. That and once I was booted out here, my Dad made it his business to make sure that I always knew that I was special in a bad way. Once it’s been said and done plenty of times, I’m sure to remember it.” Yoongi took a sip of tea. “Like how I remember your name.”

“I’m sorry if this is touchy, but how did you get the disorder?”

Yoongi’s grip on his tea cup tightened, he didn’t like talking about it. It was too painful. It hurt his head to even think about it. The more Yoongi thought, the more he wanted to tell him. The more he thought of how his mother used to tell him that if something hurt to think about, sometimes telling someone will ease the pain and it’ll become just another memory. It seemed to have worked when he told Jimin the very same thing earlier on in the week. “I told you I was in a lot of sports, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, down in the field.” Jimin gestured.

Yoongi looked at the field and then back at Jimin, eyebrows furrowed. He most definitely did not remember that. He was sure Jimin picked up on that too. Yoongi released the tension in his eyebrows and continued, “I played football for a while there and-.” Yoongi’s mouth remained open and moving slightly but no word formed. He was scared. He was scared that Jimin might find him weak once he told him. All his friends did. Yoongi felt warmth on his arm and looked down to see Jimin holding his forearm comfortingly. “One of my teammates thought I was going to be quarterback and loosened my helmet. It only got this bad because I didn’t get it checked out.” Jimin held Yoongi’s arm a bit tighter.

Yoongi took a sip of tea and Jimin removed his hand to hold his tea cup. Yoongi looked up at Jimin, whom was laughing a bit quietly. Jimin noticed Yoongi’s confused facial expression and tried to explain mid-laugh, “Have you seen Finding Nemo?”

Yoongi nodded.

“You’re kind of like Dory.” Jimin said, his hand going up to cover his mouth.

A gummy smile spread on Yoongi’s face and a laugh began to creep out, “I guess I am.”

Jimin’s laughs continued, mostly because Yoongi was laughing with him. Jimin liked the sound of the older’s laugh, though he wasn’t going to admit it, even if he wanted to. It was one of those sounds that you just wanted to hear on repeat.

As their laughs subsided Jimin said, “This reminds me of my friend, Hoseok. He’s always making movie references.”

Yoongi's smile melted down into a fading grin. “He sounds nice.”

“He is. So are my friends Taehyung and Jungkook. You might've seen them once or twice from your window. Hoseok too, actually.”

Yoongi's smile kept getting smaller and smaller. “I wish I could remember.”

“Taehyung has light pink hair and this box smile and Jungkook just recently got his hair dyed brown, it was red previously and his front two teeth look like a bunny's. Hoseok's black haired and a couple other friends say he's the sunshine of any group.”

“Is he the sunshine in yours?” Jimin didn't appear to notice the amount of anguish that Yoongi was giving off. His friends were all gone.

“Yeah, I guess so. His laugh is really contagious and we all end up laughing with him. He makes any situation really light hearted, sometimes without trying.”

Yoongi nodded. His friends had all left him. They left him when the flower that was his memory wilted. He was no longer pretty, so they wanted nothing to do with him.

“What about you?”

“Hm?”

“What about your friends? What are they like?”

“I haven't seen my friends in awhile.” Awhile was years. “They don't seem to visit me often.” Often is never. “I also don't leave the house much. Can't drive if you can't remember what you're doing. That and there's nothing really out there for me anymore.” There's no one out there for you.

Jimin put a bright smile on his face. “We'll have to change that, Mr. Hoarder hyung.”

Word Count: 957