A Long Bus Route

Today is Sunday, I checked my phone. 11am.

My things were already packed and sitting by the front door. Waiting for the bus to pull up in the front. I wondered if the other kids would be on there already or not.

I wasn't nervous. I was just fidgety and anxious.

"Zoe honey?" I turned toward my dad, we were sitting on the couch, "I love you, you know? That's why I'm sending you away"

I gave him a forced smile, "I know dad. I just wish I had more time to understand what it is I am or what I need to be prepared for". That made him frown.

"I know. I will never keep anything from you again. That's why you have to go"

"And is it because these people that killed mom are trying to get to me dad?" I heard the bus in the front of the house and I froze.

"Yeah honey, now come on" he grabbed my hand and walked me to the door, opened it and we stepped out to a big blue and silver bus. I saw there was a guy who I'm guessing was the driver, waiting for me.

I dragged my two bags to the bus and the driver smiled and took them, putting them in the luggage holder on the side of the bus.

I could hear whispering coming from the bus windows and I looked up to all the other students hanging out there seat window looking at me.

"Zoe.."

I turned toward dad and I felt like I could cry, I didn't want to leave him now. It felt like I was going away forever even though it might be a couple months.

"Dad, I love you" I ran back to him and he hugged me tight, then kissed my forehead. He broke the embrace, smiled and I smiled back.

I heard the bus horn and the tears that sat in my eyes blurred my vision when I turned toward the bus. I stepped up the steps of the bus and I could see some of the other students as they talked to one another. There was this one girl in the front seat, she had dark blue eyes and blonde hair. She held some type of shining object in her hand.

She looked up at me then forced a smile and I forced one back to her. I made my way to the back of the bus and I found an empty seat. I looked out the window at dad before the bus jerked and headed away from my house.

I just sat there and my mind started to think about dad of course, I just hoped he would be okay. I guess I could call him sometime. But he told me not to call too much or people could track my phone, or listen in to our conversation.

Then some girl looked over the seat in front of me, "hey!" She waved her hand.

"Hi"

"So what's your name?" she asked me.

She had bright yellow eyes and short brown hair, "uh Zoe"

"Nice to meet you Zoe. Ooo your eyes are so beautiful, everyone is talking about them. No one has ever seen purple eyes before, what's your power? Wait, don't tell me. That's your business"

I laughed, "uh thanks" I tucked my blonde hair behind my ear.

"Sure, can I sit with you?"

"Uh yeah, I guess"

"My names Mia, you can call me Mia" she laughed and held out her hand so I could shake it. I did.

"So, do you know what this place is like?" I ask her quietly so no one could hear.

"No, I have no idea. But I do hear its massive, even though we share rooms" she wipes her hands on her pants like theres something on them.

"And about the other people on this bus" I lifted my head to look over the other seats.