Practice Makes Perfect

The next morning I had woken with the feeling of wanting to stretch my skin. Do something that aloud me to feel alive beside using my most precious gift. I wanted to practice and I was thankful that Mia was not in the room to stop me from doing whatever it was my body wanted to take me.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face and grabbed some stretchy clothing to wear. I put on some blue tights and a white loose fitted tee shirt. I completely the outfit with some sneakers and I decided to braid my hair into two braids.

I was tempted to grab my amulet just to wear it thinking maybe it'll give me some strength or anything I needed just to get through the day but I didn't. I unwrapped the cloth from around the dagger, stuck it in the side of my tights and left the room.

I descend the stairs to the lobby and see that almost everyone is standing around talking or doing something to occupy themselves. I had to make sure I was careful enough to slide pass them all so no one would know where I was headed or try to stop me.

Just as I'm about to open the front door, "hey Zoe"

I let out a breath, "great" I whispered to myself.

I let go of the handle on the door and turned around to Jake, "hey Jake"

"How you doing? Where you heading?" He walks up to me. The closer he gets, the bluer his eyes become. He smiles, his fangs hanging low and so inviting. He wears all black, like always.

"Just outside, I'll be right back in and I'm good" I lie.

I don't want him to head out with me or anyone else for the matter. I know I keep saying and thinking it but I'm serious. This is something I need to do alone, even Margaret thinks so. No distractions, remember?

"Want some company? Your hair looks great by the way" His pale skin glistens from the ceiling lights when he smiles, his hands go deep in his front pockets.

"No, it's okay. I'll be fine and thanks" I smile and turn around, my hand hovering over the doorknob again.

"You sure?"

"Yup" I grab the handle but turn my body toward him, "no distractions, remember?" I force a smile and he nods.

"Actually, where is Mia?" I ask.

"She's in the cafeteria with Grace, Will and Xan" he points his thumb the way of the cafeteria.

I nod, "good" I say to myself before I open the door and head outside in the warm weather. I swear its bipolar or something. It changes so much, one day it's cold and another day it's hot. A smile played on my lips, I had to say I was glad to finally have some warm weather.

I rushed down the front steps and looked back before continuing to walk. I head toward the back of the building. I didn't want to have to pass everyone to get to the back door so taking the front door was a good idea.

I found a far away space from the building close enough to the woods. Just being close to them makes me feel good these past couple of days, it's just something about them. I sit down on the grass and lay my dagger in front of me. I didn't know what my powers had planned for me but I was going to listen to it. Whatever it decided to do, I was going to be okay with. So I closed my eyes, I didn't squeeze them I just let them fall close as if I was asleep. I held out my hands in mid air down on top of my knees and I folded my legs into a pretzel. And I listened.

I listened for anything, for the littlest of winds that blew past my ears and the leaves that fell to the ground from the trees which stretched themselves. The cracks and shakes sounded so close to me, I could see the shadow of them cover the faint light through my eyelids making it seem dark as night but I hadn't opened my eyes. Then I heard other things, the birds, snakes, the bugs and animals that traveled through the field anytime of the day. But there was something else coming, the whooshing sound of it increased then decreased. It was so far and the Midnight blood that was running through me enhanced my senses and aloud it to sound so close. It came again. Whooshing by.