A Leader

The next morning I woke at exactly seven and I was ready for the day no matter where it took me.

The smell of pancakes, eggs and bacon hits my nose with a hint of orange juice. My stomach immediately started growling for food. I sat up and climbed out of bed, heading to the bathroom to freshen up a bit before heading downstairs.

I threw on some tights, a tank and some shoes before I made my way down following the smell of food. Susan was up cooking a big breakfast meal for everyone, she had the radio playing and she moved swiftly across the floor baking and dancing. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail and she wore an apron over her clothes.

No one else was up I realized. Not even John or Magaret.

"Hey Susan" I smiled and slid my way toward one of the stools at the island. She had all the food out in big silver pans with aluminum foil over them to keep the heat in.

"Good morning, how was your sleep?" She clicked the radio off and walked over to the counter.

"It was okay, need some help?" I ask her.

Her face brightens, she removes her apron and says "yes please. I want to move all the food to the table"

I nod and stand to my feet. We grab the pans and make our way to the dining table that was huge and set for maybe twenty people. I set them down and we created a line of food across the big table. I stopped in my tracks and held onto one of the chairs.

"You thinking about your Mom?" I looked up at her and nodded.

"Yeah, she used to do this with the food. She'd be up early cooking for us, that's one of the memories I remember" I sniff before pulling out a chair.

Susan grabs some forks, spoons, plates and napkins before she came over to the table. She went to get the orange juice and grab some plastic cups before she officially sat down.

"I remember that too, whenever I'd stay with her or she with me she'd do just that" her light blue eyes land on mine and she leans on her hand.

"Can I ask you something?" I look up at her.

"Sure, but first get your food before everyone else does. I hear the guys like to eat alot" her eyes widen and I nod with a chuckle.

I stand and grab a plate, I take two pancakes, some eggs, bacon and pour some juice for myself and Susan does the same for herself. We take the seats across from each other and began to eat.

"How did you end up here? I mean, our house isn't in the mountains like this. This is amazing by the way" I smile and look around.

"Thanks Zoe, and to answer your question honestly I don't know really. There was just something about being here that makes me happy and feel private but also free at the same time" she picks up her fork and I watch as she grabs the knife and starts cutting her pancakes.

"It was actually my Dad's place, he used to let people rent the rooms until he stopped and just decided to keep the house for vacation or something but now it's mine" she finishes.

"That's great" I stuff a pancake slice into my mouth.

We eat for a little and I hear poeple began to get up upstairs in their rooms. I try my best think of anything else I would like to get answers for from Susan but nothing comes to mind.

"Everyones going to get up soon"

"Yeah I can hear them" I chuckle. She looks at me when she goes to stand.

"Really?"

I nod, "yeah every since I've had these powers and everytime I use them, my original hearing, seeing, touching, tasting, smelling is heightened"