Our Secret

I do my best to hurry back into the building. I don't know if Mia is in the room or she's still out but I really need to talk to her about what just happened. And she obviously has some things to confess.

I close the front door and head up the stairs.

"Um Zoe?" I turn around, half way up the stairs and Margaret's standing at the end. I didn't even hear her walk.

"Yeah?" I force a smile.

"Everything okay?" She changed out of her regular close to some sweat and a big tshirt. My eyes widen is shock. Marg wearing sweats, that's a new one.

"Yeah I'm heading to my room" I tell her and she nods. Well that answers one question, Mia didn't run straight to her about me.

She walks down the hall toward her room and I head toward ours. I just now realize I still have the knife and hybrid book in my hand. And Margaret didn't see it.

I rush toward the room and wait a couple seconds before going in. I was sweating and nervous as hell. What would she say? Would she think I'm a freak?

I tap lightly before going in, "Mia?" I call to her but when I step into the room, I can see her bed isn't empty and I can hear her light snoring. I let out a breath. I don't know how she managed to get here so fast and fall asleep so quickly.

I close the door and head for my bed. I place the book on the nightstand, I have to replace it tomorrow in the media room. I remove my shoes and grab the knife out of my pocket, I can't see it clearly and I don't turn on any lights to examine it. I place it into the cloth and stuff it in the back of my draw.

After taking a quick shower and changing into some comfortable clothes, I tie my hair up and get in the bed. I lay there in the dark and think about what I'll say to Mia but the more I think about it, the more I know the conversation won't turn out how I imagine it. So I throw the thoughts away and fall into a deep sleep.

•••••

The next morning, I found Mia's bed empty again. I guess the convo we are supposed to have is going to be avoided till later on. What if she doesn't want to talk to me at all?

I shake my head before climbing out of bed to get dressed. I went with some black jeans with a white tshirt that says moon child in black in the corner. I smiled thinking about mom. I went over to the window and opened the curtains, looking down the yard was empty. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to come out in the day, the sun wasn't out either but the trees blew in the wind as far as I could see from the window.

After grabbing my black boots, I slipped them on and headed for the door. I really want Mia to hear me out if she'll listen, she also has some explaining to do now that she can change again. She looked just as great as I imagined her to be as a wolf. The bright yellow eyes and the brown coat, it was the perfect combo for her.

I closed the door and when I started heading down the hall, I saw Dylan and Grace walking in the opposite direction. It was the first time seeing them talk, its surprising actually. Even though they are cousins, I'm so used to seeing her with Will. They walk toward me and Grace sends me a smile while Dylan nods in my direction. They continue talking and walk past me as I head for the stairs.

As I descend, I see that no ones in the lobby and its pretty quiet. I reach the end of the stairs and there's no noise at all. I look around and there's no one until a sudden knock is at the door. I walk toward it and just as I'm about to open it, they knock again and I hesitate. Jesus, it's not a dhampyr Zoe just open the door.

But what if it is?

I shake the thought and open the door slowly while peeking through the little crack in the doorway. It's a girl and she looks...young.