Second Gift

After Margaret spends minutes making sure I hadn't had a scatch, we headed toward the cafeteria. Mia couldn't stop touching me either, but I didn't mind because she just wanted to make sure I was okay as she rubbed her hands up and down my arms. She also yelled at me.

"Stop going out by yourself! I'm your best friend, you can ask me to go with you!" She practically yelled in Margaret's office. I bet everyone heard her.

I responded, "okay, fine but if your busy then what?"

She just rolled her eyes. I was completely shocked Margaret hadn't yelled yet.

When we headed toward the cafe, Jake and John had come back into the building. They told us they hadn't seen anything. Just woods and the gate didn't have any holes or anything in them.

"I'm sure you guys won't believe me if I told you what really happened" I tell them looking down at the floor.

After grabbing something to eat, everyone had gathered around me so they could hear what happened. I guess Marg wanted everyone to know what to watch out for. I actually thought she would want to hear this in private.

I told them how at first I heard someone calling my name. How no matter how far they really were, it was as if the winds carried their voice over to where I was so that I could hear them. I explained how I went into the woods to see who it was even though, now I realized, it was a bad idea. I told them they wore all black and it was as if they disappeared and reappeared in another space.

"So that explains why there isn't any holes in the gate" John announces.

I nodded. I explained how I ran after them and I caught up to them and managed to tackle them.

"Wait, you tackled a person who could disappear and reappear in another spot?" That was Christian. I nodded again, even I was shocked to hear from him, "that's cool"

"Christian...let her finish" Marg shot him a glare.

I hadn't explained every fighting detail but I told them how he cut me with the dagger he had and that I hit him which made him drop it. I picked it up and held him down until he disappeared.

"And he said I would find out soon enough who he was"

Everyone around the table looked like they were in thought trying to process what I had just told them.

"They've got to be Dhampyr. Highly trained Dhampyr with special gifts" John cautioned.

Margaret nodded, "I've never heard of ones that disappear before" her arms were folded and she looked confused.

I spoke up, "well I was thinking...they were High Rollers. Who are as you stated, highly trained dhampyr. They were the ones who killed my mom because he knew my name. he new I was a hybrid because he wanted my blood"

"Zoe, I don't know" Margaret wondered.

"Well I do. They have to be Marg, think about it" I rested my head on my hand.

"If you got cut, where's the marks?" Chelsea spoke up. It wasn't in an angry way, she was just as curious as everyone else.

"That I don't know" I say truthfully, running my fingers through my hair.

"But your marks can't just disappear" Will suggested.

I shrugged, I couldn't explain it either as much as I wish I could.

"Or maybe they can Zoe" I looked over at Margaret and she walked over to me.

"What?"

"Zoe, your special. You can turn invisible, you managed to catch a highly trained Dhampyr. At this point, I don't know what to expect"

"But how?"

"You have to answer that yourself"

And as I sat there in thought, I couldn't help but think about mom and dad. They always said I was special. I just didn't know what they meant by it and now I do.

I took the dagger from my pocket really fast and sliced myself across the arm with it.

"Zoe, what the hell?!" Mia rushed out of her seat to stand up.

John told Jake to get some napkins but when he brought them back over, I didn't let him touch me. Grace and Dylan both swallowed and leaned forward to examine the red liquid flowing from my arm onto the table. I could tell they were definitely cousins.

"Zoe.." I looked at Margaret and she was shocked of what I had just done.

I looked back down at my arm and I waited. I knew I had seen my arm heal out in the woods but now I wanted to see if it really did.

Then the veins in my arms started turning black and it was as if they were pulsating toward the open wound. The pain started to disappear and the red blood started turning black and drying up.

"Oh my god" someone whispered and I think it was Emily.

My skin was clear of blood and the open wound started to heal. The pale smooth area was stitching itself back together and before I knew it, there was nothing left. No pain, no marks, no black veins.

"Woah, now that's awesome" Xander says and I look up into his green eyes before turning to Margaret.

"Is that the dagger?" She asked and I showed her it. I held it out in my hands for everyone to see.

Then Margaret and John started to reach for it at the same time but when their fingers touched it, it sparked and made a sizzling sound as if it burned them.

"What the-" John mumbled. Now I was confused.

"Did it burn you?" I asked. Of course it did, the real question is how am I able to hold it?

"Yes, how can you hold that?" Marg was angry now. Whenever she couldn't figure something out, I noticed she got angry.

"I have no idea" I blurted.

Marg told everyone not to touch it just in case they got burned too. She told me to hold it and not to let anything happen to it.

"Zoe your like a goddess or something"

I spat, "its not a good thing Mia"

While everyone talked amongst themselves, I examined the dagger closer wondering what the symbol meant.

"Can I see it?" I looked up into Madison's bright face from the end of the table.

"Sure" I say and she gets out of her seat and walks down to the end I was at. She stood at the end of the table and lifted her hand out and for a minute, I thought she would touch it. But she used her powers to pick it up in thin air. I wasn't that cool.

She brung it close to her face and examined it like I was.

"Oh, I know what that is" she must be talking about the symbol.

"You do?" I ask and everyone quiets down again. From the corner of my eye, John and Margaret steps closer to the table.

Madison nods, "it's an ouroboros. It's in Russian though. The snake eating its tail means infinity"

"And since it has the red and black vibration to it, I think it means death also. Infinity Death. Infinite death meaning you-"

"You live an infinite death. There's no end to your death" Ava speaks up.

Everyone looks at her, "what?" She hissed.

"Okay, it's getting late guys. Let's get ready to head to our rooms" Margaret says.

Everyone gets up and heads for the door.

As I'm about to get up, Margaret comes over to me, "Zoe" she puts a hand on my arm.

"I'm very proud of you"

"For what?"

"For everything" she smiles, "keep that dagger in a safe spot please. We could use it sometime"

I nod and give her a forced smile. Then I leave and head for my room. Tomorrow, I am gonna call dad. Hopefully Marg will let me because I really need some family comfort and he's the only one I have. I need to make sure he's doing okay.