A Sign

Theres something about that certain book that I couldn't quite put my finger on yet. Something good and bad. I suddenly wondered if anyone picked up the book, looked inside and experienced the same things I'm experiencing. I doubt they did, my mind was saying everything that's happening is supposed to happen only for me.

I couldn't sleep. It was 11:01pm right now and I just wasn't sleeping. The room was silent, I could hear Mia's quiet snoring. I looked up at the blank ceiling and nothing appeared. I wasn't expecting anything too, I just wish I could figure out if someone was really trying to tell me something. I closed my eyes tight, my vision going from colors to and expanding blank circle until I opened them again.

Nothing.

I tossed and turned and ended up on my right side for the third time. The window was open just the slightest but the moon was father and the light it gave off wasn't as brilliant as it had been before. That didn't matter to me though. I've always loved the moon no matter how close or far it had been and Mom did too.

Your my moon child Zoe, whenever I see the moon I think of you she used to tell me and I did the same. I thought about her and I always will everytime I see the moon.

I removed the cover from my lower body and pushed myself to the edge of the bed. It made the smallest noise and I looked over at Mia, she didn't move. I stood on my two feet and moved to the window opening it the slightest bit more so I could see the moon. It's light small but just bright enough that I could make out my reflection in the windows mirror.

"Mom please here me. If theres something...anything you want to tell me just please give me a sign or something" I whispered into thin air looking up at the oversize light. My words floated away but I had no idea where they would end up. Would she hear me?

When I looked down into the back yard of the camp, I saw something. Or someone. They were standing on the edge just beyond the woods and the wore all black. I didn't know who it was or what they were doing but then they looked up at me. In the window and I froze. They held a blank expression, no emotion just a regular face that seemed to stare right through my soul. I swallowed.

"Zoe?" I heard Mia say. I turn to her and she's just looking at me with a sleepy face.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

I open my mouth to answer but then I turn back to the window. I look out into the distance and whoever was standing at the end of the trees, is gone. I turn back to Mia.

"Yeah I'm okay, just couldn't sleep" I tell her and forced a small smile.

"You want me to stay up with you?" she mumbles and I give her a real smile than. No matter what happens, I'll always love her. She'll always be my best friend and I hope she feels the same way about me.

"No, it's okay. I'm going to step out for a bit and let you sleep. Don't worry" I walk to the edge of her bed and she nods.

"Okay" she lays back down and snuggles under the cover. The only thing I can see is her hair.

I head toward the door and turn to her before I step out into the hall way and shut it behind me. It's too quiet and I hate the feel of it, the silence around me ready to capture any noise that threatens to disturb it. So I head silently for the stairs and glide down them. I walk toward the front door and look down the hall to make sure no one is up then I look up at the balcony on the second floor. No one. I unlock the door in the quietest way and step out into the night.

I leave the door open behind me and walk toward the steps. I sit down and wrap my arms around my body. It's not cold but it feels as if the darkness around me is closing in trying to swallow me whole. I look out into the distance at the trees and I see no one. Who could have been out this late? My heart drops as I think about the last accounter I had with a Dhampir. How I managed to fight one off but then I think about why they haven't tried to attack again. I don't want it to happen but its been a while since then and I would've figured they'd try again. But they didn't.