First Attempt

I started walking through the woods.

The wind blew in my face but it wasn't strong enough to make my eyes water or cause me to shiver. It felt great hitting my skin, it left a tingly sensation.

I swallowed as I headed down the trail toward the space I saw that person. At least I thought I had.

As I walked, I looked around and all I could see was trees with green and brown leaves. All I could hear was the rustling of those leaves against the branches. Other than that it was eerily quiet.

But then, "Zoe"  someone had whispered my name again and that caused me to stop walking.

I stood and looked around, "Hello?" I shouted out into the open. I didn't care who heard me, I needed to find out who it was that was calling my name.

Then I saw someone running in front of me and I started running.

"Hey!" I yelled.

I saw them now. They did wear all black and they were running fast until they turned around and saw that I was on their tail. That's when it was like something switched on and they started to disappear and reappear in thin air in other parts of the forest. Like there were more than one person.

I started to slow down because I had grown tired.

I closed my eyes and tried to slow down my breathing so I could listen again. To see if I could sense where they were.

Then I saw them, out the corner of my right eye. They hid behind a tree. Though I didn't look over. I just acted as if I hadn't seen anything because if I did, they would notice. Just like they new I would stop in listen so they stopped running and let the wind cover their tracks.

I turned to my right and I started to walk, then I started to run. The next thing I new, I was sprinting and it felt natural. I wasn't tired, it felt like in my blood, I was something more something special.

My hybrid instincts kicked in fast and they took full control. The forest was a blur all around me. I ran as fast as I could and I saw them again. Up close now with a mask over their face and an all black suit. Then I saw something shiny in there hands.

A knife.

Oh no. It's one of the High Rollers and they're here to kill me and take my blood.

"Heyy!" I yelled again and tackled them onto the ground.

They fell to their stomach and started to squirm from under my body. They were very strong and they stood up and I flew back on my butt to the ground. They turned around to face me and took off the mask. It was a guy and they weren't human.

"Zoe Hyland" he said it like my name was some kind of drug and he just couldn't wait to get his hands on it.

  "Who the hell are you?" I managed.

He started to walk toward me and I stood up my hands out in front of me and started walking backwards.

"You'll find out soon. But for now" he started to lick his lips and played with the knife  "your blood is what I need"

I froze in my tracks. I was right. He is a High Roller. Then I thought, what if there's other out here? How the hell did he even get in? And he must be a dhampir.

"You will never get my blood" that made his smile fade, "but you will pay for what you did to my mom"

"I guess I'll just have to get it myself then" my eyes widened and he came for me.

He pushed me up against a tree and my back hit it hard. My arms struggled against his grip because he was so much stronger then I was. He took his right hand and wrapped it around my neck and for a minute I couldn't breath. I tried to use my hands in every way I could to try and remove his hand or push him away.