Nervous Is Good

I couldn't sleep, at all. All night I'd tossed and turned in my feelings and my thoughts not being able to sleep for more than an hour.

12:00

Go to sleep Zoe, go to sleep. Why can't I just go to sleep?

1:00

I suddenly have the urge to go outside and run through the woods, stretch my powers and see how far I could go.

2:00

Why does life have to be so difficult, why can't I just be a regular teen? Why was I chosen to be the only one with such power?

3:00

My eyes landed on the clock and I suddenly had the urge to pee. I rushed to the bathroom  and as soon as I was finished, I rushed back out and jumped on the bed only to land on the floor.

5:00

Two hours is good enough, I should just get up and go wake everyone else up so we could practice now. Get it done and over with so I wouldn't be so nervous. I peeked out my bedroom door and closed my eyes, the sounds of everyone snoring echoing throughout the house. I shut the door and went back to bed finally tiring myself out enough to get some sleep.

Its 8am, I figured it was time for me to just get up and get ready for the day. The day we practice fighting foreal, for survival because I was being hunted upon by a group of dangerous people who want me. And I was putting my friends in danger because of it.

This morning, even though I hadn't achieved the maximum amount of sleep last night, I was up and ready at eight and I had gotten myself dressed and slowly made my way downstairs to the kitchen. I thought I was only seeing Stacey or Susan or both of them but to my surprise, everyone was up and ready before me. They look ready, I smiled at them all happy to have true friends finally that was on my side. Or maybe it was because they didn't have a choice at this point.

I stood away from everyone else, my friends were all bunched together in a huddle talking and laughing and acted as if they were okay. They didn't seem scared or nervous or somewhat bothered about the fact that they were about to fight me or that the high Rollers could attack at any given time.

Not me. I was nervous as hell and I didn't care if it showed. Margaret realized it before we made our way out into the backyard, the grass was green and the little trees and bushes stood tall like they were prepared for anything as well.

I swallowed, rubbing my sweaty palms together as my eyes grazed over my friends.

"Hey Zo"

Susan came from behind me as I turned around and I had no idea she wasn't in the crowd with everyone else.

"Hi" I spat.

She stood to my side, her eyes never leaving me as I stood there doing the same thing.

"Your nervous aren't you?" She chuckles a small laugh under her breath and I suddenly get a whiff of whatever perfume or smell good she wears. Like pink bubblegum mixed with a hint of cherry and strawberries. Mom used to be obsessed with the smell of strawberries. She'd pick them at a grocery and eat them just like that.