1.)

*Copyright © _jasthewriter aka xjasrenae 2019 This is a work of fiction, the events that take place are fictional and came straight from my thoughts. I do not own the rights to any of the music that I use and the photos that I use are not mine but are available on public platforms. You may not copy or use my work and claim it as your own in any way*

If you are new to this series, I welcome you and your opinions with open arms. I also would like to give you a heads up that you will experience a range of emotions. (Self harm, suicidal ideation, SA, abuse, addiction) - I am currently in the process of editing this series in between free time. If you are a re-reader and noticed things have changed, that is why, lol. But happy reading, excuse any errors and anything that may make you cringed from secondhand embarrassment, I was young when I wrote this series. 🥲

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virginia Beach, New Year's Eve

Sometimes we've had tears in our eyes when we joined together to sing it, but we still decided to sing it. We Shall Overcome!
Lord before this victory is won, some will have to get thrown in jail some more, but We Shall Overcome!

Don't worry about us, before the victory is won some of us will lose jobs, but We Shall Overcome! Before the victory is won, even some will have to face physical death, but if physical death is the price that some must pay, to free their children from permanent psychological death, then nothing shall be more redemptive, We Shall Overcome!

Martin Luther King's We Shall Overcome played lowly in Renae's ears as she stared out into the night as the rain battered against the car window. Another cold, rainy night, another night without a place to lay their head.

In all her 19 years of living, she never thought she'd see the day when she'd have to live inside a car or jump from house to house. Once her mom lost her job, she had a hard time keeping up with the bills. Afraid to ask her sister Tamia for money, she went to the only person she knew wouldn't mind; Bryson, her ex-husband.

Before the victory is won, some will be misunderstood and called bad names and dismissed as rebel-rousers and agitators, but We Shall Overcome!

And I'll tell you why

"Why?" Renae queried like she always did. It was New Year's Eve and here she was sleeping in her stepdad's car, yet again.

"Don't you ever get tired of that speech?" Her little brother, Dajon asked as he placed the thin blanket over her, seeing that she was shaking.

"I'm gonna listen to it until I can say we've overcome something." She mumbled writing her name on the foggy mirror.

"You know you don't have to sleep out here with us right?" Egypt, their mom asked looking over at her ex-husband.

Unlike them, he had a place to stay, but he lived with his girlfriend Amara and she and Egypt couldn't get along. Amara was jealous of the bond Bryson had with not only Egypt but with what some people called a 'bonus kid'
She felt as if he treated Renae and Dajon better than he did her son.

Dajon was his biological son, Renae was his stepdaughter but he loved her like she were his own. Amara needed any reason to hate them though.

"You're still cold back there Zuri?" Bryson asked calling Renae by her middle name. If it were up to him, Zuri would've been her first name, but he was only the Step Father.

"A little." She replied rubbing her arms and Dajon pulled her into him. He always acted as if he were the big brother when it came to Renae.

Maybe it was because they were the only two and were almost close in age. Renae's father was a hardcore drug addict and Egypt couldn't put up with him anymore, so she kicked him to the curb.