36.) Owed Dues

KINGSTON
2 nights later (1:45 am)

"When are you gonna call Dajon?" King asked Renae as they sat in his new truck watching his corner boys.

It's been 2 days since the incident and the only thing Renae wanted to do was get out of Virginia.

"He has school in the morning, I'll call him when I think he's in lunch." She answered then touched her bandage.

Her wound was healing quicker than she expected, Karen used home remedies to speed up the process.

"What about yo pops?"

"He doesn't want to talk right now, said he feels like it's his fault for what happened to me." She replied as she started jotting down notes.

The moment they got back to New Orleans, she asked King to get her right to work.

He wanted her to start small, seeing how the corner boys worked was step 1.

"Did you know?" She asked.

"About?" He questioned.

"That she was on drugs."

"When I heard her laugh, it struck a nerve in me. Because my pops used to laugh da same way before he put his hands on my mom. Sometimes I hated him for it but then I also hated da drug 'cause da nigga was strung out." He told her and she nodded slowly.

Staring out the tinted window, she let her mind drift momentarily.

"Can't believe she hit me."

"Can't believe he put his hands on me." She spoke softly as she messed with her head scarf.

"No wonder she hated me so much."

"Aye? Don't beat yourself up dat Nae. Yo momma is sick and needs help, that's da only reason I ain't kill her or yo deadbeat because I know a part of you still has love for em." King told her.

"When you think about it..." she began as she looked down.

"Never mind." She mumbled looking back at the boys.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing, how long are we gonna watch them?" She questioned changing the subject.

Staring at her momentarily, King glanced at the time.

"Until you wanna leave I guess." He answered and she nodded.

"How well have they've been doing?"

"Pretty good, they seemed to have been trained well." He replied letting his window down some.

"Do you feel like you can trust them?" She asked seeing a few of the boys joking around.

"Maybe, it's always on da fence wit folks in dis business." He told her as he reclined his seat back some.

"You trust Jamel and Ty?" She asked and he gave her a funny look.

"You don't?" He asked.