One

[Flashback]

I walked into the school doors with pep in my step, as they say. I used that phrase in front of my best friend, Felix, the other day, and he bopped me on the head and told me to never use it again because it "sounds stupid".

I get to the classroom and walk inside to see the class buzzing and Felix unpacking his stuff. "Hey, Lix." I say to him.

Felix turns to me with annoyance painted on his face. "I told you not to call me that."

"Sorry, I guess I just have too much pep in my step."

"OH MY SWEET BABY JAESUS DO YOU WANT TO DIE?"

He deserved it anyways. "What'd you get on the math homework? I was confused on the fourth question." He says, changing the subject.

"Wait- what math homework?"

He sighs, "I'll let you copy off mine, but you really need to get it together Jisung. Be careful or you'll end up like a specific someone." Felix wiggled his eyebrow.

I don't need unnecessary facial gestures to understand who he was talking about.

Lee Minho. He's only a grade above us, but he's a complete bully. I hate the guy beyond belief. He is always beating me up after school or, really any chance he gets. Of course, I couldn't have been gifted with the strength of a greek god or anything like that so I'm never able to defend myself against the jerk. One of my friends always has to come in and stop the fight but most likely I'll just lay there until someone finds me.

Lee Minho is an absolute monster.

Classes finish quickly, which for most people is good, but I dread it. I have to go home and deal with my alcoholic mom right after receiving a beating from Minho.

Don'tcha just love life?

I leave the school as quick as my little fetus legs could go. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough. I stop and watch Minho and his "goons" walk toward me, knowing that if I were to keep running, then they'd hurt me even more than usual.

"Hello, Jisungie." Minho says.

"D-don't call me that." I manage to stutter out.

"Trying to fight back again, I see?" Minho says as I look around to see that everyone else left. Peachy.

He waits for a response and when he gets none, Minho knocks me to the concrete. I hear him say something but can't properly make it out as everything goes black.

"Jisung."

"Jisung."

"Han Jisung."

It takes me a second to start thinking again. "Jisung". That's my name. And the name of that other kid, a grade above me. I'm the only Han Jisung in the school though.

I open my eyes and readjust to the hellish light shining onto my face from the ceiling. Blinking, I notice my mom standing next to my bed, happily shaking me awake. I swear, I will never understand morning people.

"Hi, mom." I mumble.

"Hello, Jisung! Did you sleep well?"

"Mmmnn."

"I'll take that as a 'yes'. I made you breakfast. Come downstairs when you're ready." She says enthusiastically and walks out of the room.

I look at the time to see that she's woken me up early. The first day of school is tomorrow; not today. This was HIGHLY unnecessary.

It's fine, I still love her. Sometimes I wonder where my birth mom is. Has she finally found happiness? Is she still drinking? Maybe she found a new family?

It's too early in the morning to be so philosophical. Aristotle was a great teacher, but he couldn't thrive without his pancakes first.

I'll just worry about that stuff tommorow. Today, I get to relax. I hope Felix is as excited for school as I am. I'm glad we got to transfer together.

With the two of us taking on the world, we should be able to conquer anything. I'm so excited!

This school year is going to be perfect.