Fourty-Six

Today, lunch is a little different. Actually, it was a lot different.

Felix and I had chosen to follow through with our plan and secretly ate lunch outside. We talked and laughed with each other the entire time, conversation coming easy to us.

As we were outside, my mind continuously wandered what the other seven were talking about. Are they worried? Do they care? Did Changbin tell them? Did Changbin even understand?

I shrug it off and keep eating.

"Hey, what time is it?" I ask Felix. The boy lifts up his wrist to look at his watch.

"It's 10:37."

Panic rises and realization strikes. "We're late! Lunchtime ended seven minutes ago!" I say, raising my voice slightly.

My best friend and I dash into the cafeteria, scrape our trays by hitting them against the side of the trashcan a couple of times and run back out to our classes. I'm not sure of Felix's teacher, but Mr. Choi will hopefully be forgiving this one time.

I reach the classroom and slowly open the door in hopes of going unseen.

"Han Jisung. How was your evening?" Mr. Choi says with a sarcastic smile. There's no way it would've been that easy.

I smile and try to play along with the joke. "Great. I went to the bathroom and-"

"-and sat down in your seat?" His fake smile only grows. I nod and he gestures towards an open seat away from where I'm normally located. I happily take the seat, satisfied with my placement away from my ex.

Chan gives me that 'where were you?' look from a seat not too far from mine. I gesture to brush it off and not worry. Chan frowns and turns back to face the front. He's worried, I know, but that's just what a Chan does.

Next period comes and I rush out of social studies so that I won't have to answer any questions. I get to the science classroom and head directly towards mine and Felix's spots. As I walk, I come close to making eye contact with Hyunjin. Thankfully, I don't though.

"Did you get in trouble for being late too?" I ask. Felix nods and we both laugh to cover up our embarrassment.

Everything goes well and Felix and I leave quietly once the school day is over. Upon seeing us, though, Changbin's eyebrows furrow into a frown. "Where were you two during lunch?"

"Uhh..." Felix and I say in unison. "Eating outside."

"Why?" Changbin continues.

"Uhh..." we drag out once more.

"We felt like it." Felix says. I guess it wasn't an entire lie.

"And why didn't you tell the rest of us beforehand?"

"Uhh..."

"Just answer my question!"

"Okay," I say, holding my hands up. "Minho and I were dating."

Changbin's eyes widen in shock. "Really?"

"Well, we were dating." I further explain. "I broke up with him and would rather not be near him for the time being. Not yet, at least."

"That explains a lot. May I ask why you broke up with him?"

"Actually, I'd rather not talk about it."

"That's fine," Changbin nods. "But are we going to get in the car or just keep standing here?"

We all get in and take our seats. Changbin drives until my street is in walking distance.

"See you tomorrow, Jisung." Felix says while Changbin waves. I smile and wave back at the both of them.

As I enter my home, I'm honestly a little shaken up. Why did I tell Changbin? He didn't need to know. It was just easier to not lie to him.

I hope he doesn't say anything about it to anyone, though. It might end badly if he does.