Thirty-Nine

"Hey, Felix." I say droopily, throwing my backpack down. I'm not in a good mood right now, but I think I really just need to talk. "Can we sit over there instead?" I point at the chairs on the other side of the room.

Felix gives me a questioning look. "But what about Hyunjin?"

"What about him?" I scoff.

"Oh God. It's that bad, isn't it?" Felix hurriedly grabs his things and relocates away from our normal placements. "So what's wrong, Ji?"

"When Minho and I were leaving science class, Hyunjin was there and said he had to talk to Minho. I was going to leave, but Hyunjin started telling him weird stuff. One thing leads to another and... and..." I start to tear up. Felix rubs my back while telling me it's okay and encouraging me to go on.

Once I catch my breath, I continue. "Hyunjin was confessing to Minho."

Felix isn't sure how to feel about this, it's clear on his face. "What did Minho say?"

"He returned the feelings."

"Wait a second." Felix says. "I don't understand why that's so bad. Shouldn't it be good that Hyunjin wasn't rejected?" my friend says, confused.

"Minho and I are dating."

"Oh." Felix then gives me a sad, yet still slightly uncertain hug.

Class starts and I can't focus properly. I take a risky glance towards Hyunjin's seat to see it occupied by the boy. Before he can catch me, I quickly turn my head back to the front to avoid eye contact at all costs.

The school day is nearly over and I remember that I still need to suffer through the drive home. Maybe just this once, I could be a third wheeling pest.

"Hey, uh, Lix?" I say.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think I could go home with you? I really don't want to sit next to a cheater."

"Right, I forgot about that. I'm sure Changbin will be fine with taking you home too considering it's not that far from mine."

"Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate it." I say, trying to smile as much as I can.

The time comes and my friend and I leave the classroom as fast as humanly possible in order to avoid Hyunjin. We find Changbin's expensive car in front of the school. When Felix asks him if he's okay with driving me home and Changbin happily agrees. The three of us get in the vehicle.

"So Jisung," Changbin says. "Why exactly are you not taking the bus today?"

Felix and I exchange glances. He knows that I'd rather not let Changbin know about what's going on with his classmates.

Felix mouths to me a suggestion; "global warming?" to which I shake my head in disagreement.

Not every answer is "global warming", you idiot. I think to myself, wondering why he's my friend.

"Well, it's actually because I wanted to... uh... ask you and Felix something." I say.

"And what would that be?" Felix says through clenched teeth.

I desperately scan my surroundings. There are trees, grass, cars and buildings. Not helpful.

I begin to say, "I actually wanted to know if-" but a loud buzz cuts me off. I've never been so grateful to have my phone on full-volume. It's normally turned down, though. "Hold on."

Legitimately curious, I check what caused the interruption. Felix leans over my shoulder to see what it is.

Minho 💕
Where are u? I wasn't able to stop the bus this time

"Seungmin's so weird, isn't he?" Felix says, nudging me.

"Oh, yeah. He really is." I say.

Changbin doesn't seem to catch on. "What'd he say?"

"He asked for a cookie." I lie.

"Your mom does make really good cookies." Felix agrees.

"Have I ever let you try one, Changbin?" I say, causing a conversation about cookies to spark up. We discuss which types of cookie are our favorites, gradually moving into more odd subjects.

"I just feel like they should've painted the cauliflower instead."

"Hey, is this your house, Jisung?" Changbin interrupts Felix.

"Yeah, it is. Thanks for the ride." I say. We wave goodbye to one another as I leave the car.

I walk into my house. Thankfully, my mom hasn't gotten home yet. More thankfully though, we were able to dodge that bullet. Oddly out of breath, I sit down exhausted on the couch.

That's when I realise exactly what's happening around me.

I was cheated on.

After all the things Minho and I have been through, he cheats on me.

After only a handful of hours, he cheats on me.

Was Minho unsatisfied with my presence? Do I need to be better? Do I even still have a fighting chance? Would it be better for me to just cut him off completely?

This rollercoaster relationship is made from toxic, I now realize. There is nothing good that I could make of this situation without lying to myself.

I'm not going to stand for this. I've made a decision.

I've made my decision:

I'm ending it.

Not just our romantic relationship, but all relationships.

I want to be happy, and I can't do that with people like him in my life.

I'm done with Minho.