TWENTY TWO

Kat knew that when she woke up to an empty bedside and flowers on her side table that Tom was up to something

After a quick shower and getting dressed, she went outside, surprised to smell food coming from the kitchen.

Her sisters and best friend rarely woke up before her- in fact, they only ever woke up before her on her birthday to cook her favorite breakfast foods, which is exactly what she smelt at this moment.

But it was definitely not her birthday.

She walked into the kitchen to see Tom with an apron on as Kris taught him how to cook with Karmen and Alex sitting at the kitchen island watching them.

"What is going on?" Kat asked, a smile on her face.

"I'm teaching your boy how to properly cook," Kris smiled, "He's a natural."

"Really? You woke him up just to teach him to cook?"

"Actually, he woke us up," Karmen grumbled as Kat took a seat next to her.

"I tried really hard not to!" Tom protested, "It was out of my control."

"Burning our place down is definitely controllable, Tom," Alex chuckled.

Kat's eyes widened, "You almost burnt the place down?"

"Technically... yes," Tom blushed, "I'm surprised you didn't wake up, actually."

"Are you kidding?" Kris scoffed, "That girl could sleep through a fucking earthquake, hurricane, and tsunami altogether."

"This is true."

"That's nice to know," Tom smiled, placing pancakes on the plate before putting the plate in front of her, "Now, eat up."

"But what about-" Kat stopped short seeing empty plates in front of the others, "You cooked for all of us?"

"I've been up for a while," Tom smiled sheepishly.

"Okay, did you eat?"

"I... I had some scraps."

Kat gave him a look, only needing to motion him over for him to listen and instantly go to her, looking like he was in a trance.

"And that is our cue to go," Alex laughed, having to drag Kris out when she noticed her watching Kat and Tom kiss.

Kat pulled away from Tom, a content smile on her face, "You taste like strawberries."

Tom chuckled, "Do you like the smiley face on your pancakes then?"

"I. Love. It," she answered between kisses, making Tom smile more as he sat next to her.

The two shared the breakfast, Tom behind her and holing her after as she washed the dishes.