33 - Shots

I sat straight up in a cold sweat. My breathing uneven and ragged as I remembered where it was. I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. The nightmares are relentless now. After everyone was separated, I've had nightmares every night and they were really bad. People burning and explosions were always in them. I haven't been able to see fireworks the same ever since Chicago without getting freaked out and having a small panic attack. I stood up from the sleeping bag and looked down at my mate sleeping. As I watched him, I noticed that he was frowning in his sleep. He's never done that before. I shrugged it off and went downstairs like I usually did and opened one of my mind links.

"Hey, Dad," I said into it.

"Hey kid, how's it going?" He asked with exhaustion laced in his voice.

"I have some good news," I told him.

"Yeah? What is it?" He asked.

"It starts with O and ends in Prime," I said with a smile.

"You're serious?!" He gasped and I laughed silently to myself.

"Yes, he's here. I found him, Dad." I told him and I could feel all of the tension leave him.

"Thank Primus. What's our next move?" He asked and I thought for a minute.

"After today we'll leave and head west towards you. Can you contact the others to meet us at the rendezvous point?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure thing. Just be careful ok?" He said and I smiled.

"Yeah Dad, I'll be careful. You be careful too, we can't afford to lose anyone else, especially you." I said solemnly.

"Don't worry about me kid, I'll be fine." He said and cut the link. I sighed again and sat down at a work table.

"What're you doing up?" I heard a deep voice rumble behind me. I spun around quickly and relaxed when I saw Optimus.

"Just can't sleep. And I was planning stuff out. We need to go after sunrise." I told him and he hummed. He came over and sat down next to me before wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me towards him.

"What about Cade?" He asked and I looked towards the ceiling.

"I don't know, but we're putting him and his family in danger by being here. I've wanted to leave for a while but I had to rehabilitate myself and I had a feeling I shouldn't leave just yet. I'm glad I didn't for obvious reasons, but if Cemetery Wind comes after them I won't be able to live with myself. I don't know what to do." I said and put my head in my hands.

"It's alright. We'll figure out something out, for now, we can wait." Optimus said and I nodded.

"A lot has happened since you've been missing. We've lost a lot." I said.

"We'll survive, we need to for them." He said stoically.

"Agreed, they shouldn't die in vain," I said, almost repeating myself from earlier. As we kept talking, Cade came into the barn a couple hours later.

"Morning guys, how's it going?" He asked and I gave him a tired thumbs up.

"Nightmares?" He asked and I nodded. Optimus looked at me with narrowed eyes.

"Nightmares?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'll tell you later," I said and got up to help Cade.

"What else needs to be done?" Cade asked Optimus.

"Nothing Cade Yeager, you've helped me so much and I am in your debt," Optimus said and I nodded in approval.