35 - Chance

(This is what Optimus' new clothes look like :)

"Out-both if you!" I said tiredly. We've been driving for 24 hours straight and I'm fucking exhausted. Tessa and the blonde dude, whose name I've learned is Shane, stepped out of my alt mode and I transformed. I stretched my arms above my head and sighed when I heard the satisfying clicks of the gears in my back. We were the first ones to get to Chicago so I picked an old abandoned church as a hideout for now. I sat down against a pillar and brought one knee up to my chest. At times like this, I wish I had my Mom, some other feminine figure besides me. Everything I'm feeling is getting twisted up like a coil in my chest and it's so hard to stay neutral now. We just need a break or something because damn if we don't deserve it. We tried to help these forsaken people and now they hunt us like prey.

My thoughts were interrupted by the rumble of an engine nearing the church. I got up quickly and pulled my glaive from my rift. I stood defensively in front of Tessa and Shane. The rumble got closer and I saw the familiar alt mode of my mate come through the entrance of the church. I relaxed and went to sit back against my pillar. Optimus stopped and let Cade out in front of Tessa and Shane before transforming. He looked at me and his face contorted in confusion.

"What's wrong love?" He asked as he kneeled I front of me. I shrugged and waved a hand at him.

"Nothing, just tired," I told him and he nodded. Optimus stood next to me and then sat down. He grabbed my hand and laced his digits with mine before bumping me with his shoulder. I looked over at him and he was giving me a very small sad smile. I grabbed his hand tighter and pulled myself closer to him before laying down on his lap. He looked surprised but quickly relaxed and smiled a little more. Cade went to sit with Tessa and Shane but watched us interact with each other.

"They're cute together," Tessa said amusingly.

"That's what soulmates look like Tess," Cade said happily, missing his wife.

"You need a girlfriend Dad." She said to him and I snickered from my spot on Optimus' lap. He looked down at me and cocked a metal eyebrow at me.

"Werewolf hearing love. Tessa just said Cade needs a girlfriend." I told him.

"Ah, got it. The others should be arriving soon. How was your trip here?" He asked.

"It was fine, long, but fine. I'm just really tired I guess, but I'm not sure why. Driving never tires me out." I said to him.

"If you're tired then get some rest. We'll be here for a while so you can sleep a little if you'd like." He offered and I shook my head.

"I'm alright, but being next to you makes me feel better," I said playfully and he stiffened a little. He's so innocent. "Relax Optimus."

He was about to say something in return when more rumbles neared the church. We both stood up quickly and drew our weapons. My Dad and Bee rolled in with the other three bots behind them.