Chapter 2. Falling into the trap

The course of true love never did run smooth.

~William Shakespeare

Present day

Ariana Cristford's POV

It's been a week since I found my mate and shifted to his packhouse. I always thought my mate would be the one to get me out of the misery that I carried all my life but looks like I am always meant to be unfortunate.

My mate is my mate except he beds other woman, makes out with them in front of me and treats me like I'm some slave. Just the way my father used to treat me.

He does show a bit of affection like he allows me to sleep on bed unlike back at my father's house, he used to make me sleep on the cold floor and the alpha doesn't bother me until I do all the work in the packhouse.

So, I guess, that's fine with me. Atleast, I'm not abused.

And I did make a few friends, like the rogue girl, Flavia, who works in the stable and Giovani, the beta of this pack. Unlike the alpha-my mate and the pack members who avoided me like a plague, the beta was kind to all of us and spoke to me in a friendly manner since I was his alpha's mate.

At the present, I was watering the plants when I saw Giovani walk out of the alpha's office with a frown on his face.

"Where are you going?" Maximus, the delta, asked trailing behind him.

"How can the Alpha just leave and let us handle the prince?! Why doesn't he just agrees to the truce?! Why mess up with the royals? Doesn't he know that they are quite capable and powerful to make us bow in front of them? Why do you think the werewolf prince is visiting us today? To have a little chit chat over tea? No, he's going to freaking threaten the whole pack just because of the alpha!" Giovani raised his arms in the air in frustration.

Maximus placed a hand on Giovani's shoulder, "I understand but we can't do anything. For we're not the alpha and we can do nothing but to prepare ourselves for the worst and welcome the prince."

Giovani nodded in accordance and just a moment after that, I heard a commotion near the entrance as a really handsome man made his way into the packhouse.

There were a lot of guards trailing behind him. I noticed that everyone around became still and bowed their heads in respect to this man.

The man nodded to them before making his way towards Giovani and Maximus who stood at the farther corner with terrified looks on their faces.

His footsteps halted just in front of me and he turned his head in my direction. I felt my heart beat quicken with fear of what was to come as this handsome stranger stared at me.

This man. He was really good-looking. He was carved into perfection. Pale skin, High cheekbones, dark black hair that was neatly combed behind his head, pink plush lips, well-refined body--not too muscular and not lean either and smouldering ocean blue eyes that would make you lost in their depths.

I couldn't take my eyes of this stranger while he gave me a cold look and asked,"Who are you?"

What?

I blinked my eyes several times in order to make sense of the words he spoke. And when the question finally sinked in, I thought of what to answer to him.

I wasn't a member of this pack. And my father is from the pack of eastern Iris. I could say that I was the alpha's mate but I guess, he wouldn't believe me. Why? Well, there are two reasons,

a) When I said to the pack members about me being the alpha's mate, no one believed it and just laughed it off telling 'I wasn't of alpha's taste' and 'I was like a dirt whom the alpha wouldn't think twice before throwing out'.

b) In my current state, I looked no less than a servant with the tattered clothes and water mug in my hand.

"I am...uh.." I was stuttering. I didn't have any idea of what to say.

"She's Arianna, Alpha Anthony's mate, your highness," Giovani was quick to answer the question.

I gave him a thankful smile. In return, he nodded with a smile.

Your highness

My eyes widened visibly.

Does that mean he's the...Oh my Lord! He's the werewolf prince! The cold and heartless prince Daniel Rodriguez.

Prince Daniel stared at me for a moment before he spoke coldly, "Great," he said with lack of enthusiasm, "Tell the alpha that as his punishment for disobeying the royal agreements, I'll marry his mate. If he doesn't agree to the truce soon enough, then it will be his mate who will suffer."

With that he reached me in three strides and grabbed my wrist in a harsh grip as he pulled me out of the packhouse, leaving all of the pack members utterly shocked.