Chapter 28. The Heartbreak

Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don't.

~By Stephen King from 'Hearts in Atlantis'.

Daniel's POV

"I want to go back with the Alpha, Daniel."

For a minute, I just stared at her blankly, my mind had gone blank and the same words repeated in my head over and over.

Why does Ari want to leave? No she can't...She can't leave me...

"Ari but you didn't look very happy to meet Anthony last time and even seemed uncomfortable around him. Then why do you want to go back with him? Is he forcing you to get back with him?" I asked desperately trying my best to get a liable answer from her.

The Alpha must be forcing her. Yeah, that must be it! There's no other reason she wants to get back with him, right?

Ari's soft hands held mine snapping me out of my momentary denial, "No, Daniel. No one's forcing me. I have to make the decision myself. And I chose to go back with him because...." Tears flowed down Ari's beautiful eyes one by one. I wiped away the tears with the back of my palm feeling my heart ache as she peered straight into my eyes and said, "I love him."

I love him. I love him. I love him....

God Damnit!

"No! You're lying! You don't love him! You...Did I do something wrong? Is that why you want to leave me, Ari?" I snatched my hands out of her hold and held her shoulders in a firm grip.

No matter what she said, I just didn't want to accept the fact that she wanted to leave me and that she loved....

No!

The tears started running down her cheeks once more, "I'm not....lying, Daniel. You never did anything wrong and so...I want you to...end this marriage of ours. D-Divorce me," she said in a choked tone as her voice shook.

"W-what...." I swallowed hard trying to clear my voice.

Suddenly, in an instant my world collapsed right before my eyes. I don't think I heard her right. W-why does she want to end our marriage? Why?

Although it was fixed in the beginning that I and Ari would be divorced once Anthony accepts the truce and technically the mate bond meant more than a marriage based on a few papers in the werewolf Kingdom, but Ari had unknowingly creeped into the depth of my heart more than anyone could ever be and I don't think I can fulfil that part of the truce now....

I had vowed to myself that I'd never let a woman into my heart ever again because it was like asking for a permanent heartbreak. But Ari, she is different. I tried so much not to be attached to her but despite of that she always managed to break my walls and make me fall for her because she was worth the goddamn risk.

"W-Why?" my voice was thick with emotion before I cleared my throat and said in a stern tone, "I can't divorce you, Ariana, no matter what you say. As for your request to return back with Anthony, will you be happy after that?"

Just say no, Ari...please...

She simply nodded her head breaking any ray of hope in me.

"Very well." I spoke defeatedly.

My heart was aching and I wanted nothing more than to lock Ari up in a tower and keep her for myself, away from any prying eyes or away from the God forsaken Alpha but I can't do that with Ari. I can't force her into something she doesn't want. If she'll be happy with the Alpha then so be it even if that will break me forever, I'll feel content that she's happy.