Chapter 41. Scheming Kiana

Author's POV

■Royal Palace: Iris■

Daniel sat next to Carla on the bed as he gently ruffled her hair in an attempt to wake her up, "Get up, Carl. This prank is not funny anymore."

His sister simply laid on the bed without making a single movement, looking like a corpse with her face that had grown utterly pale due to the wolvesbane and silver that had burnt the life out of her.

A tear streamed down Daniel's eyes as he got up disheartened and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him slowly without making a noise.

Ariana who had been waiting for Daniel to come out of the room, stood up from the couch she was sitting on and walked up to him. Once she was in front of Daniel, she noticed the disheartened look on his face and the tear that ran down his eyes one after another in a slow motion.

"She never did anything wrong. Why would someone try to kill her? Will she really..." Daniel's voice broke in the end as his words caught in his throat.

Ariana's heart clenched looking at him be so miserable. She stepped closer to Daniel, wiped his tears with the back of her palm and hugged him tightly.

"Don't worry. Carla will be alright." Anthony will save her. Ariana didn't say the last sentence to him as she rubbed his back comfortingly.

Her mind drifted off to the time when she was passing by the hallway and had accidently heard Anthony speaking to the doctor.

"....we can do an organ transplant surgery." Anthony had said.

The doctor looked taken aback by the suggestion as he mulled over it, "We can do that...but transplanting all organs can cause the other person to die. Who would willingly die? We won't have the donor by the end of the day and-"

"I'll be the donor." Anthony cut off his meaningless talk abruptly.

Ariana never expected the man to be soo...selfless as to give up his own life without a thought. And now that she knew about it, she felt guilty for all the time she had considered Anthony to be a heartless man.

Anthony wasn't what he portrayed himself to be after all. He did have a heart.

Ariana's mind was in chaos as she tried to console a heartbroken Daniel. She could feel each and every feeling of pain and remorse Daniel felt due to the mate bond being placed on her and so could he feel all her feelings.

"What would I have done without you, Ari? I love you so much," Daniel pulled her closer to him snugling his face into the crook of her neck as his tensed up muscles eased drastically before he suddenly lifted his head to look up at Ariana, "Wait, you didn't eat anything since yesterday night. You must be hungry. Let me ask the cook to prepare something for you."

A gentle chuckle eluded past Ariana's lips as she pulled him back into an embrace, "Everyone are worried sick about Carla and this is what you're thinking. That I didn't eat food?"

Daniel pulled away from the embrace with a frown, "Ari, I'm serious. You should eat. Or else you'll faint like that day you didn't have any food for the whole day."

"Seriously, Danny. I'm fine-" just as she uttered those words, her treacherous stomach grumbled in response making a smirk appear on Daniel's face despite his gloomy mood, "You sure you don't wanna eat? 'Cause your stomach is saying otherwise."

Ariana wanted nothing than the earth to swallow her whole as her cheeks flushed in embarrassment before she finally gave up on his request, "Okay, fine! I'll go eat something. You stay here, in case Ariel or anyone needs you, okay?" Ariana quickly went over to peck his lips and was about to head towards the kitchen when she stopped on her tracks and asked, "Where's Anthony by the way?"