Chapter 38. Marked

There are devilish thoughts even in the most angelic minds.

~Pinterest

Ariana's POV

I love you, Ari.

The words repeated in my head like a broken record while Daniel's lips remained pressed to mine in an ardent kiss.

I knew that Daniel loved me--well, he had indirectly said it before--but hearing those exact words coming out of his mouth gave me a foreign jittery feeling. I suddenly felt high, as if I were on drugs.

When Daniel backed away, his hand tenderly held my face as he looked deep into my eyes,

"I love you so much, Ari. I tried. I tried so much to let you be with him but damn, it hurts! Every time I see you with him, it hurts like hell thinking that I couldn't have had what he does. And when he kissed you, I just lost it. I couldn't keep my anger and hurt at bay. It just...made me see red. But that's not the point. Every time I see you with him, it kills my heart slowly. I hate to admit it, but I feel so jealous of him. I know I don't deserve you. You're too good for me. You're everything a man desires. Whereas I? I'm worthless. I'm a monster. But hell!  I want you. I need you in my life, Ari. 'Cause for me, you're my everything and I'll be damned if I let you go. So, will you be mine forever, Ariana Rodriguez?"

I blinked several times to ensure whether I wasn't hallucinating. Did he just really say that? All of that?

My little heart warmed up in my chest when I saw the sincerity and love in his ocean blue eyes as they stared at me with great intensity.

I stepped ahead, cupped his face, and kissed him on his lips--gently and slowly. Conveying through the kiss what I feel towards him. When I backed away from the kiss, I saw him look at me with confusion in his eyes.

I smiled at him with my palms still cupping his face, "I'm already your's to begin with. You own my heart and my soul from the very beginning. I'm sorry that I lied to you about my feelings and hurt you saying that I loved Anthony. And don't you dare call yourself worthless or a monster ever again. Because just like you said, even you're everything to me. Honestly, that day when I confessed to you about my feelings, it wasn't directed towards Anthony instead it was meant for you. I love you, Daniel."

He seemed stunned for a moment as if trying to make out what I had said--well, I felt the same way.

"Really?" There was vulnerability in his eyes which pained my heart. He had already faced betrayal once. It must be hard for him to believe in love again.

"Truly." I stared into his eyes trying to convey to him that I meant every single word I had said.

Daniel just stared back at me before a wide grin spread on his lips like he had just received the best gift in the world.

"Damn! I love you so much, Ari!" He sang happily and kissed me again. I laughed against our lips as he seemed like a little boy who received his Christmas present.

"Ari, you're mine, aren't you?" Daniel asked suddenly the moment he took his mouth off mine.

I smiled at him, nodding my head.

His right hand moved up to my lips as his thumb stroked my bottom lip slowly and seductively making my breath hitch, "Say it from these lips, darling."

"I am yours," I said firmly although I couldn't quite focus on anything except his darkened eyes that were staring deep into my soul and my eratic heartbeat.