Chapter 10. Hurt

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.

~Confucius

Ariana's POV

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was a sweet smile on Daniel's face showing of his cute dimples. He has a lovely smile. The type of smile which makes your heart melt. He should smile often. Then suddenly his smile dropped and his eyes widened.

It wasn't until he quickly jumped back in surprise that I realised he was close to me. Too close to me and his right hand was holding my face.

"I was...It isn't as it looks like...There was something on your face," he spoke all at once.

I rubbed my eyes to confirm what I was seeing. His face looked flustered and there was even a hint of red tainting his cheeks. He instantly looked away trying to hide it but I saw it, anyways. He tried to avoid eye contact looking anywhere but me.

Oh my...he looks so cute!

"What?" I asked, "I mean, what was there on my face?"

"A fly?" His answer sounded more like a question.

I ignored the doubt in his voice and nodded.

He then cleared his throat loudly like trying to get my attention. He cleared his throat yet again when I didn't react. I raised my brows in question.

Is something wrong with his throat? Should I get him a glass of water?

"Why are you here?" he asked arrogantly while I widened my eyes in realisation.

Oh, yeah. About that.

I got up from the chair in a hurry accidently knocking of a few papers.

"Oh, Sorry!" I quickly bent down to pick up the papers and he did the same simultaneously resulting both of our heads to bump into each other.

"Ouch!" We both rubbed our own heads with our palms.

Our eyes met in the midway of getting up and for a moment there, all I could do was stare at his icy blue eyes.

For some reason, I just couldn't move my gaze away from him. My heart started beating quicker in my chest than usual.

What's happening to me?

I felt like something weird is happening to me by just being under his scrutinising gaze.

I'm nuts! I should maintain my distance from Daniel if I don't want to fall in a bigger mess.

I quickly looked away. Picking up the papers, I got up muttering a 'sorry' and placed the papers on the table. I waited for his apology but he said nothing.

"What are you doing in my study?" He spoke with a cold voice

Okay, I get it. He's back to his arrogant self. No problem though, I know you're just pretending to be a cold hearted man.

"Um...I came here to apologise for the trouble I caused you yesterday. Also, thank you," I bought up a smile on my face and thanked him genuinely.

His eyebrows ceased together as he looked at me head to toe as if studying me which for some reason made me really body concious.

I wouldn't say I am a very skiny woman but I wasn't the fit type either. I always look so petite as if I don't eat anything.

"Thank you for what?" He brought his eyes up to mine.

That is what I've been thinking myself. I am thanking him but for what?

I can't say him that I'm thankful that he was there for me during my emotional breakdown. That would only make him think I'm pathetic. And I surely don't want anyone's pity. I hate pity.

But...

Would it hurt to be honest for once?

Maybe, he would understand. Ugh...I should just tell him the truth.

"You were there for me yesterday even though you didn't have to be and you even help-"

"Don't flatter yourself," Daniel said cutting me off. He took a few steps until he was in front of me, "I didn't stay because I care for you. I stayed because I thought you were pathetic. I pitied you."

What?

No, Daniel. Don't do this.

"You're pathetic, Ariana. That's why even your mate doesn't want you," his words cut deep into my soul.

His words echoed in my head repeatedly like a broken record. I felt the same feeling of despair seeping into me again. The same feeling of worthlessness and loneliness.

Why, Daniel? Just when I thought you weren't that bad afteraal. You just had to ruin it.

Why am I feeling so hurt? He's right after all. I am pathetic. A pathetic werewolf who shouldn't have survived so long. My mate never really wanted me so why do I feel hurt by his words?

"You're right. I'm pathetic. I shouldn't have come here in the first place," I said in a choked voice looking straight into his eyes before turning around and walking out of the study.

A stray tear ran down my eyes the moment I was out.

Didn't I promise myself to never shed a tear for anyone else? I wiped my cheeks furiously.

I hate you, Daniel Rodriguez.

Daniel's POV

"...You're right. I'm pathetic. I shouldn't have come here in the first place," she said looking straight into my eyes. Her beautiful turquoise eyes were filled with unshed tear.

I had to bite back the guilt I felt when she walked out of the study without another word.

I walked over to my desk and sat on the chair next to it. My elbows rested on the table as I held my head between my palms.

'You're a jerk! Why did you have to talk to her that way?! She didn't even do anything wrong!'

'Get lost, Carlos. You won't understand,' I said through our mindlink before shutting him off.

I just had to say that. She was slowly and unknowingly making the walls I had built around myself falter. I can't bear to let my walls down. Everytime I had let my emotions on loose, it had only caused me pain. And I can't bear to feel that pain again. It hurts so much. No one can understand it.

She had to hate me just like the others do. That is the only way to keep her away. To stop her from bothering me.

I know I did the right thing but then why do I feel so bad?

_______

Short chapter, isn't it?

I'll try my best to update before Sunday. No promises though.

Also, Today is the last day of 'The fiction awards' and if you like this story then I would be grateful if you nominate it in the 'Best of the beginners' category.