Chapter Four

Rosé

"How did yesterday go with Daniel?" Aaliyah bites into her green apple.

I take a long, needed, sip of my water.

"Bad."

The girl gives me a sympathetic smile.

"Did you guys talk?"

I shake my head with a pout.

I wished we talked. I was so excited to talk to him. Since freshman year, I've admired Daniel from afar. Sneaking glances at him in the hallway, cafeteria, and even going to his basketball games. I don't know what made me so fascinated with him but the more I looked at him, the more I crushed on him.

Maybe it was his unfiltered, hard emotions or his gorgeous eyes that lit up whenever he laughed or the feeling of a second chance he gave me.

"Seriously?" Aaliyah looks surprised and confused, "The project? Music? Basketball? Anything?"

"I thought that he might talk about the project, but he's planning on skipping my existence for the next four weeks." I quietly mumble, leaning my face on my palm, staring at my best friend.

Maybe if I stare at her pretty face, I'll find the perfect way of persuading Daniel into talking to me.

"Rosie, be you. Be the girl he can be comfortable with. Make him laugh, make him smile. Make him fall head over heels for you, little bear because you are too cute and pretty to be alone." Aaliyah light-heartedly coos, making me smile and laugh with her words.

"Hi, baby." Kai appears beside me with a grin on his pretty face.

I smile.

Kai and Matthew sit next to us. Aaliyah is not so subtle with hiding her excitement as she stares starry-eyed at Matthew. And Kai—Kai is being Kai—staring at me with a flirty, boyish smile that lights up his dimples.

Kai circles his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Rosé, baby, when are we going on our date?" Kai asks as he stares into my eyes as if he's trying to hypnotize me into saying yes to our date.

Kai has been asking me out on a date for the past year. I haven't said yes because; one, he's Kai Jackson, and two, he's Kai Jackson. I have no doubt that he has a wonderful heart but I'm not ready to have my heart broken by a beautiful boy.

Besides, who would want a broken girl?

Heat rushes to my cheeks, but my heart races in anxiousness from his sudden touch. I know that it's Kai and he won't hurt me but still, it's unexpected. I curl my fingers around my jeans, quietly trying to control my breathing.

"Remove that arm before I pull your balls through your throat." Aaliyah is a tough cookie.

"Chill out, woman." Kai laughs it off and moves his arm away, mouthing a soft sorry to me.

"What are you guys doing here?" Aaliyah asks her crush.

Need I mention how happy she looks next to Matthew. It looks like she's about to cry out hearts and rainbows. They look so cute together.

"I'm throwing my birthday party this weekend," Kai smiles excitedly, eyeing both Aaliyah and me, "And I want you two cuties to come."

"Birthday party?" I quietly ask, a small excited smile appearing on my lips at the thought of going to a party.

Kai turns his body towards me and looks at me with the biggest and cutest and mischievous smile ever.

"Yeah, baby."