Chapter Thirty Eight

Rosé

I hug the thick blanket around my body, seeking for warmth that I desperately need. After what happened, Aaliyah took me back to the cabin and I had a shower to warm myself up and now I'm on my bed waiting for her to grab some food.

I'm not surprised about what Wren did, I'm angry at myself for not speaking up or strangling him to death. And I want to smack Daniel upside his head for treating me so hot and cold. He can't just kiss me then ignore me then come to my rescue—my stupid self can't handle all the mixed signals.

I hate myself for freezing up when Wren touches me. I thought years of therapy would help me fight that darkness that drowns me whenever memories of my past come crawling back. Not with my monster though apparently. Wren saying those words out loud after years suffocated me like I was struggling to breathe underwater. It all came back to me and taunted me that my nightmarish night might have happened years ago but it's still going to haunt me forever.

I got humbled, I guess.

Daniel shuts the bedroom door, breaking me out of my miserable thoughts. His presence raises my guard up because I don't know if he's going to be good or bad to me.

I watch him carefully as he paces in front of me, his jaw clenched and a dark, ominous, cruel darkness clouding his eyes.

"Daniel." I softly call out his name.

He ignores me.

But when his brooding eyes slide down to mine, my heart falters in anxiousness.

Those eyes can make me sin and fall into the darkest pits of hell.

"Why are you ignoring me?" I ask him.

I hold tight onto the blanket around me, still feeling cold. Daniel sighs, looking away with an angry expression, running a hand through his hair. Biting my lip in anxiousness and sadness, I keep my eyes on him.

"Daniel." It's a whisper.

Daniel stares into my eyes with wicked exasperation.

"Who was it?" His voice is quiet and dark.

My brows furrow in confusion.

"What?"

"Who hurt you, Rosé?" Daniel grits through his teeth and his words crush my heart in nauseating panic.

He can't know.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." I quietly and nervously stumble over my words, knowing that I look and sound like a fool considering he's seen me break down on multiple occasions and he's not stupid to not realize why.

Daniel snarls, his eyes blackening until all the warm chocolate color disappears.

"Don't fuck with me right now, you better start talking before I lose my damn mind, Rosé."

Curling my fingers around the blanket, I tear my eyes away from his, too afraid that he's going to find out the truth by looking into all the pain and broken memories I'm hiding behind my eyes.

"I don't have to tell you anything, Daniel." My voice quivers a litter as I talk to him.

Whenever I start remembering those memories, I feel breathless and hopeless and worthless...and dirty.

Daniel growls before walking up to the bed and grabbing the side of my neck to tug me against his face. Our lips are a breath away with his hot breath dancing on my lips, sending shivers of delight down my body despite his intimidating, sour mood.

"Who was it, Rosé?" He darkly whispers against my lips and I have the strongest urge to crash mine on his to shut him up and make him forget about wanting to ask about my dark past.

Tears blur my eyes as I feel my restraint slowly fall apart under his intense eyes and warmth. Daniel makes me want to spill everything to him, tell him my deepest darkest secrets...but I'm afraid he's going to hate me, be disgusted by me and I don't want to lose him.

He's my chance at healing the broken parts of me. He makes me feel so protected and warm and...beautiful. I deserve all that. I spent my years watching other girls fall in love, love their bodies, and love themselves—I never did.

I want all those things.

And more...with him.

Daniel sees my tears and it's like an ominous cloud falls over his eyes.

"It was Wren, wasn't it?" his quiet, inauspicious voice makes my heart tremble in fear, "He's the fucker who's hurt you. He's the reason why you have panic attacks."

No.

No.

Tears stream down my cheeks, too afraid to look away from him and too frightened for my unwritten fate.

Daniel's eyes widen before pure rage and malevolence swirl in the chocolate color of his beautiful eyes that I've adored for years.

He lets me go and steps back, ruffles his hair in frustration before locking his eyes on me. His stare is dead cold and heartless. My heart shakes with a bad, ominous foreboding.

"I can't do this with you anymore."

My heart breaks.

No.

I sniffle, blinking as my tears rain down my cheeks, my heart bleeding with betrayal and pain like no other.

"D-Daniel..."

"This is fucked up. I shouldn't have kissed you, that kiss was a mistake. If we continue whatever the fuck is going on between us, I'm going to end up breaking what's left of you. Don't make me do that. You're already broken. Might as well save yourself a broken heart, Rosé." Daniel heartlessly says with every word like a dagger to my heart.

My heart breaks and the pain is unbearable. I can't breathe.

I know I'm broken but hearing him say I'm broken...oh god. And now he wants to end whatever has been between us because he knows I'm broken.

Sadness engulfs me as I feel my heart being torn open and left to bleed. His words cut through me with a hot dagger, tainting my soul with sadness and despair. Anger overwhelms me but it's anger that makes me cry and hate myself.

I'm such a fool.

I should've known that when we're good, something bad always happens. We can never be happy. Fate doesn't want me happy. I don't deserve happiness if I'm falling for a heartbreaker.

And our kiss was a mistake?

It didn't feel like a mistake. I know he's lying to himself and to me. No kiss that felt like sweet whispers and dark temptation, can be a mistake.

Underneath that heartless, arrogant, flirtatious persona, he's loving and sweet and caring. But he also has a darkness to him that makes even monsters in the dark crawl back under the bed.

With teary, red, sad eyes, I stare at the boy who has my heart in his hands. Daniel's eyes waver for a moment when I smile sadly at him.

"I guess I didn't save myself a broken heart."