Chapter Seven

Rosé

"What are you wearing?" Aaliyah asks me from the mountain of clothes on my bed.

"I don't know."

I've never been to a party before so I don't know what girls wear to parties. From watching movies—depending on what kind—the girls are either wearing dresses, or casual jeans and a t-shirt or sporting a garbagé look.

I am, however, excited about the makeup and getting ready part. Being with Aaliyah always makes everything fun and I have no doubt, tonight is going to be rememberable. I love being with my best friend.

"Can't I just stay home?" pouting, I look round for my excuse and when my eyes catch my most precious gift, "I can't leave Binx alone, look at him so lonely and sad without me."

Binx ignores me as he continues licking his butt. Unbothered.

I love my cat.

"I can make that cat disappear, Rosie," Aaliyah narrows her eyes playfully at me before pouting, "You can't ditch me."

I sheepishly smile at her. Aaliyah walks into my closet and starts looking through my clothes. As I'm playing with Binx, a white box is dropped on my bed.

Uh, oh.

"You're wearing this."

"Liyah, no."

I don't have the confidence to wear that dress, no matter how beautiful it is. I'm comfortable wearing my oversized t-shirts and jeans and my knee-length granny dresses—as Aaliyah and Nate like to describe them as.

Aaliyah grins.

Aaliyah gifted me the dress on my last birthday. It's beautiful, ethereal, and hot. My best friend has the best fashion sense.

"Rosé, you're wearing this." Aaliyah coos as she takes out the white dress and holds it up to admire the pretty details and the ethereal look of it.

"Aaliyah." I bashfully coo.

"Make the guys drop dead with how gorgeous you'll look in this dress," the girl grins, "And then laugh in their faces because let's be honest, we girls don't dress to impress boys. We do it for ourselves."

I love my best friend. And she's right. If I'm going to dress up and put makeup on, I'm going to do it for myself, not some boy. I'm going to wear this dress for me, with the confidence I know I'm hiding and too afraid to show because of how it has been broken by my past.

Wearing this dress makes me feel pretty and a little hot. The lace-up corset motif along the waist shows off my small waist and accentuates the soft curves of my hips. I love how the sweetheart neckline makes my b-cup breasts look, the short sleeves fall off my shoulders and the soft cotton material feels refreshing against my skin.

My makeup is soft and minimal—blush, mascara, and a raspberry-colored lipstick. And my hair is fluffed out in soft waves down my back. I'm wearing my white mary janes because I'm a baby fawn when I'm in heels and this is my first party, I don't want to embarrass myself.

My thoughts drift to Daniel.

He's going to be at the party.

For some reason, a wonderful flutter swarms my tummy at the thought of him.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Aaliyah grabs my hand in hers as we walk into Kai's huge house. Modern interiors, expensive paintings, and atmosphere so sophisticated. That juxtaposes with the loud music, alcohol, and red cups covering nearly every available surface and bodies dancing up against each other.