Chapter Fifty Two

Rosé

Oh boy, it's raining a lot.

I can't believe I forgot my umbrella. The sky is twilight black and the wind is so cold. There's going to be a storm tonight in West Hampton Lake and I knew that yet my dumbass walked out of the safety of my house. I had to. My birth control pills finished this morning so I had to grab my new prescription from my OBGYN.

There's heavy traffic because of the rain and I'm thankful for that because I hate walking on empty streets. I'm twenty minutes away from my house and the moment I get home, I'm taking a hot shower, changing into my warm pajamas, and snuggling in my bed with Binx. Rainstorms, unlike thunderstorms, are comforting, especially when I'm reading a book.

And now I wish I took that copy of Lolita so I could've read it tonight.

Whatever.

It's been two days since I shoved that book in his chest and his words tugging on my heartstrings in the most heartwrenching way possible.

I can't wait to hug you once this is all over.

He said it so softly and with a bittersweet feeling as if he's been yearning to hug me for years. I felt his desperation and longing in my heart. All I wanted to do was turn around and run into his arms and forget about everything. I wanted to rewrite our last chapter but that's being naïve and ignorant about what he did.

I can't bear to let another man hurt me. I can't bear to break again.

A loud horn from behind scares me. With intentions to glare at the idiot, I turn around but all thoughts fizzle out the moment I spot Daniel in his car.

"Rosé, get in the car." He hollers from his open window.

"No." I say loud enough before turning around and continuing my walk home.

But I hear him behind me, the tires of his car sloshing against the rain puddling on the asphalt. He blares his car horn again but I ignore it.

I hear a car door slam and two seconds later, Daniel is in front of me.

"What are you doing? You're getting wet. Are you crazy?" My eyes bounce between his, dumbstruck that he's risking catching a cold.

"Get in the car, Rosé." Daniel says, eerily calm.

His soft voice contradicts the thunderous sound of the rain yet it's not the cold weather that sends chills down my body.

For a moment, we're quiet but my heart is pounding in exhilaration. Mad or not, I can't deny the fact that he gives me butterflies.

"Hey, move your car, jackass!"

Some bonehead shouts and that grabs my attention. I glance behind me and gasp. Daniel has parked haphazardly on the side when there's an angry array of drivers behind him.

When I look back at Daniel, he's so unbothered it's almost amusing.

"You're blocking all the cars, go." I wave him off, squinting because it's hard to see with how fast and violently the rain is falling.

"Car. Now, Rosé." Daniel says again.

What a Neanderthal.

Frustratedly, I glance at the line of cars behind his and all those angry drivers then back at him. He's crazy blocking all that traffic. But the fact that he stopped for me...urgh, I hate him.

I'm drenched, all my clothes are wet and my hair is sticking to my face, and I'm cold so I might as well take the chance of getting home safely.

With a reluctant sigh, I trudge over to the passenger side and open the door. Daniel smugly smiles before climbing inside and driving off. He turns up the heat in the car and I welcome the warmth but when he grabs his varsity jacket from the backseat and drapes it over my body, the warmth ignites into a flame.