Chapter Sixty Two

FLASHBACK

HEAVY TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT (RAPE)

Please feel free to skip it.

Rosé

I walk out of the bathroom after taking a shower and having changed into my pajamas. Closing my bedroom door, I grab my homework and get comfortable on my bed.

Michael and Karina are away in Canada and Nate has left with West, leaving me home alone with Wren.

Nate has been coming home at midnight most nights and I'm getting worried. He should be focusing on his studies especially since he's in his senior year now.

When we moved into the Hudson's house six months ago, I felt so weirded out, like there was this constant coldness surrounding the atmosphere. Michael and Karina were accepting, and whenever they're home, they're caring and kind. Karina makes amazing food and Michael tells a lot of bad dad jokes.

West and Wren on the other hand took a while to accept us. Nate and I never blamed them for being unfriendly because we knew this was uncomfortable for them as much as it was for us.

It wasn't anything new for me and my older brother—moving into a family of strangers, getting cold glances by the children, and sometimes being treated unfairly by the adults. Nate made sure that we never got separated from each other during our time in the system. I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my brother. We stuck together and made sure that if families wanted to foster us, they had to take us both. There was no choice. Of course, that left us with very few familiar wanting two children but we didn't care.

West—the older brother—was the first one to warm up to us and once we got to know him, he was kind and caring. He likes Nate a lot. He's always talking to him, taking him to places, coming to his basketball games. They're friends and it makes me feel happy knowing my brother is enjoying living in this house.

Wren being the youngest was distant and cold, barely speaking or making eye contact with us—especially me. It was as if he was pretending that Nate and I were just ghosts living in his home. But after one afternoon of me trying to help him paint his skateboard, he completely changed. He started talking to us, laughing with us, studying with me at nights when we were home alone. Wren became a friend.

A friend who is attractive. His azure eyes are breathtaking. He looks good when he smiles.

"Rosé." I break out of my thoughts when I hear Wren's voice from my bedroom door.

I smile at him.

"Hey, Wren."

Wren steps into my bedroom, his eyes wandering to my books before locking to mine. There's an indecipherable emotion in his icy blue eyes.

"I need your help in chemistry." He mumbles unexpectedly.

That's weird. Wren is really good at science. We may often study together but he's never once asked for my help.

"Okay, what are you struggling with?"

"Equations."

"Oh, those are pretty easy." I say as I grab my chemistry book and walk alongside him towards his bedroom.

Wren grins at me.

"Yeah, for a smart girl like you, I can't wrap my head around them."

I softly laugh. I don't like to brag but I'm academically smart.