Chapter Fourteen

Rosé

West Hampton Lake Beach is so beautiful, it's one of my favorite places to go to. Aaliyah, Nate, and I have come here every summer and spring break since we've moved to West Hampton Lake. The sand is warm, the air is breezy and trees surround the beach.

"Are you cold?" Noah asks from beside me.

I shake my head with a small smile. We find an empty area to sit and we're in luck because there aren't many people around tonight. I curl my legs to my side and Noah takes off his varsity jacket to cover my thighs.

"Thank you."

The soothing sound of the waves crashing against the shore is dreamy. My eyes wander around the beautiful blue sea, sparkles of light hitting the surface.

Noah and I start talking about what book I'm reading. It's comfortable and fun. As we talk, we stare into each other's eyes. This whole time, I've learned more things about him, sweet, adorable details about his interests. If I didn't have feelings for Daniel, then I would have no trouble gushing over Noah. We pretty much have the same interests and he talks about them so whole-heartedly.

The sky is getting darker and soon shades of pink, purple and blue light up the night sky. The sun is setting, casting a beautiful, breath-taking warm gradient. My mind feels so much at peace just staring at the endless sky—the clouds seamlessly drifting and disappearing beyond the ocean.

"It's beautiful." I whisper.

<3 <3 <3 <3

This night with Noah has been magical. We're sitting around a fire as he tells me hilarious, embarrassing stories about his best friends, his brother, Halloween mess-ups, weird dates, and unforgettable night outs.

Noah told me how, after losing a bet, Daniel had to dress up as Boo from Monsters Inc and show up to basketball practice in it—pigtails and all.

Another one was last Halloween, Kai was so drunk, he went and kissed a woman but it turned out to be a guy from his volleyball team but Kai didn't stop even after he found out.

Matthew lost his shoe, Jordans, somewhere in West Hampton Lake Mountain Park.

Noah serenaded our sex-ed teacher, the one who looks like Trelawney from Harry Potter, with The NeverEnding Story song after losing a bet with the boys.

"We're throwing a Halloween party at Matty's this year, you should come." Noah suddenly slides in the invitation.

I look at him for a moment. I don't do much on Halloween. Aaliyah and I usually just stay in and watch a horror movie.

"I'd love to."

I look over to the marshmallows that are roasting above the fire. Some of his friends from his football team are here too and they created a fire pit, sparking up the toasting marshmallows frenzy.

"Whoa Rosé, hold on." Noah laughs as the chocolate drips onto my hand a little after I pour it over the marshmallows.

I mouth a quiet thank you as he cleans it for me before I take a bite.

Oh my god.

Noah laughs before I feel his hand reach out and wipe the corner of my lips. I freeze. Not out of panic but out of surprise at his bold gesture. I stare into his eyes as his lips play a grin, amused at the mess I'm in. Unlike last time, his touch doesn't scare me.

"You had chocolate on your lips."

My cheeks blush violently.

Noah's phone rings.

I'm too lost in my thoughts of his touch that I don't even notice him becoming stiff.

"What's wrong?"

Noah looks angry. The call disconnects and Noah grabs my hand.

"Let's go."

My feet nearly trip my clumsy self, but Noah's grip holds me in place. We sit in his car and before I know it, he's speeding down the highway.

Why is he angry? What happened?

"Noah, what's wrong?"

"Sorry, Rosé. I'll take you home but I need to be somewhere else first."