Chapter Eight

Rosé

Daniel stares at me, his eyes darkening with promises that would have my heart in pieces.

After touching me and making me feel emotions I've never felt before, he tells me to stay away from him. The bitterness of his words makes my heart pain in sorrow. Why did he touch me if he wants me to stay away from him? He can't touch me like that and expect me to not. He's the only guy that has made touching me feel right.

Daniel leans back, legs spread, and watches me with an emotionless face.

"Is Kai back?" Aaliyah's voice breaks me out of my trance and I get away from Daniel, fixing my dress.

Aaliyah walks in holding a cake—blue fresh cream with strawberries on top. At the sight of the dessert, my spirits lift and I shove Daniel, his touch and cold words to the back of my mind. She hands me the cake as she takes the candles from Noah and lodges them in the fresh cream.

"You okay, Rosie?" Aaliyah asks, her eyes roaming over my face.

"What?"

"You're blushing."

"Who made my baby blush?"

Everyone looks at Kai in surprise.

"Happy birthday!" In unison, we congratulate him.

Aaliyah and I share a laugh because we were supposed to surprise Kai yet he surprised us by waltzing in like without a sound. Kai sees the cake and his eyes light up like a kid in a toy store.

"Fuck, is that cake? Man, I haven't had cake—well actually I just had cake if you know what I mean—since forever, but damn that looks mad good."

I giggle at his cute reaction.

"Dude, what the fuck?" Matthew stares Kai down, "Could have at least made some noise when you walked in."

"I breathed, didn't I?" Kai's snarky answer makes me laugh.

"Make a wish." I softly tell him, Kai gives me a coquettish smile before giving me a once-over and blowing out the candles.

Once his eyes open, he takes a step towards me.

"Don't even think about it." Noah snaps.

"You better not do what you just wished for." Matthew warns him.

Kai rolls his eyes.

"And if I do?"

"I'm gonna break your fucking arm." Daniel's harsh growl cuts across the atmosphere like a knife.

My eyes find him and he's not even looking at me. Kai snorts, casting aside Daniel's threat.

"Rosé," Kai adorably smiles at me, "It's my birthday and my wish is for you to yes to a date with me."

Surprised and a little amused, I stare at Kai. He's crazy. There is no way that is what he wished for.

Is it?

"Keep on fucking dreaming." Noah smacks Kai upside the head.

Kai pouts and I have the urge to squeeze his cheeks. He's adorably hot. Aaliyah cuts the cake in parts and we all take one. It tastes heavenly. The fresh cream is so creamy and the vanilla sponge is soft and the strawberries are cold and sweet.

Aaliyah and I sit together on the sofas as we talk about the cake and Matthew. Her eyes light up with joy and excitement whenever she talks about him, it's endearing. I've seen my best friend date boys before but none of them have ever made her look so radiant with life.