Settling back into normality

"So you think you'll be going to those drinks that Maud and Alan are hosting tonight?" asked Tara, one entire week later.

Two and half long weeks had passed now, since Blake's return to Alexandria, and despite how much the caramel-blonde woman's heart still ached, life was slowly getting more bearable.

It was currently mid-afternoon on a gloriously sunny day, and Blake and Tara had just helped with lugging sacks of compost and garden fertilizer over to the gardens in the centre of the walled-community.

It had been hard work, and the pair, grateful to go home and have a shower each, as well as a nice cold glass of water, were slowly making their way back to their homes on the far side of the long row of buildings.

Blake gave a sigh, retying the plaid shirt that sat, now, at her waist, long since having been unbuttoned from her shoulders in the burning heat of the day.

"I'm not sure," she said glancing down at the dusty ground before them as they walked. "I don't really feel in the mood to deal with small talk, and if Rick's there, he's only going to bother me about information on the Sanctuary again."

She rolled her eyes which caused Tara to give a laugh and stare up at the caramel-blond woman out of the corner of her eye.

"I'm sure he won't," she reassured her gently. "I mean you've told him all you know, right?"

Blake suddenly felt guilt wash over her.

She certainly hadn't told Rick everything she knew.

For the past two and a half weeks now, Blake had lied about the events that had taken place back at the Sanctuary. Merely telling Rick and the people here, that she had been kept in a cell most of the time, and the moment she had been released, well that was when David had struck.

As far as they were concerned, she had barely seen Negan during her stay there, not having anything much to do with him at all. And that had been the biggest lie.

In fact she had had more to do with Negan than any other person there.

And now, even after weeks, Blake still missed him.

She missed Mia too.

Missed the life she had once had there, with them both.

It was strange. Being back here, with a house to herself, breathing in the fresh air every day...it felt more claustrophobic that the large looming factory ever had.

The space and the open-air crushing her....making her feel small and insignificant.

There had felt like a queen up in her tower....walking beside a king each and every day.

But now Blake was trying her hardest not to dwell on Negan anymore.

Memories of him. His touch, his scent...his taste on her tongue...it was all too much for her to bare.

He was probably back there right now, barley even remembering she existed, probably with someone else to distract him now...another woman maybe...

And Blake....well, the thought of that tore her apart inside. But she knew that, either way, she wanted Negan to be happy. She wanted him to be there, as smug and as arrogant as ever, enjoying his life...

And maybe she needed to do the same.

It was then, as if on cue, Tara nudged her with a sudden sharp elbow in her ribs.

"Ow, what was-" Blake began, before suddenly following the dark-haired woman's gaze, over to where a tall man, around Blake's age with dark hair was stood, a shovel in one hand, wiping sweat from his brow with the other.