The Nightmare That Never Left

"Stop acting like a child."

Ketsurui shot her head down, keeping her eyes glued to the floor as her heart beat faster and faster. Cross squatted down, his black jeans bunching up at the corners of his knees. He was always too skinny for his clothing. So disgustingly skinny and lean. Just like his daughter. She wanted to bury her face in something and hide, or at least... she wished she could think that. Instead there was a loud screaming voice in her head telling her what to think. Stop being embarrassed. Don't run and hide from your mistakes. Pay for what you've done you piece of shit. You're such a coward. Ketsurui ripped her glued eyes form the floor, making eye contact with her father. "You're already seven. I don't have time for your childish shit! Pull yourself together! I have a meeting that's going to change your life in twenty minutes. If you don't stop talking, I'll do something I won't regret. Got it?" He hissed next to her ear, noticing that there were eyes all around. Ketsurui gave her father a big smile, just like she practiced and he hugged her. She was told that in order to avoid suspicion, if anything ever looks unnatural to just smile and hug him. If she was honest she despised the thought. His cologne surrounded her, and every reflex in her body went into not gagging. That stench was associated with too many bad memories. So many bad memories. The scent was called Scales of Ice. He always told her how much he liked the name, and it smelled exactly what it sounded like; expensive mouth wash and too much liquor. She trailed straight behind him as he walked into the hotel business room, keeping her hands clasped together in front of her. Keep your feet facing forward when you walk. Perfect posture, keep your chin high. Who's around you? How many people have a weapon? Don't distract from your father. She repeated the training of her mother over and over again in her head until a sick feeling plagued her stomach. She hadn't eaten since yesterday's breakfast, had been too scared to ask. A fear struck her that her stomach would make a noise mid meeting, then her father would really be angry. Ketsurui fought the urge to grab her wrist, worried her white gloves might ride up and show the bruises. That was the spot that was always bruised, because that was what he grabbed when he 'taught her proper etiquette'. He really thought she was that stupid. So stupid that she wouldn't realize he takes his unhealthy life choices out on her, and expects her to fill the shoes he never fit in. Maybe the shoes he bought were too small. Of course... no one thinks they can grow when they buy them in the first place.

"I'm sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding. " Cross smiled widely at the board and stood up, his red eyes flicking back and forth, showing his obvious irritation. Ketsurui was just waiting for the forked tongue to flick out of the snake's mouth. "This training has been in the works for years now. Let's not forget about the down payments."

"My apologies sir, we did say we would train her, however... we were unaware of you true intentions. Therefore, I will pay you back in full for your trouble, but we will not train her." A man with glasses and a resting frown sat down and murmurs began through out the room. I heard Cross can't handle the child's power. Really? I heard that he botched his last job and he's getting too old so he's training his apprentice early. I heard she's illegitimate and he's trying to send her away to save his reputation. I heard... I heard... I heard... Cross cleared his throat and smiled broadly.

"I see. Well then might I ask you if you fully understand what it is you're doing? It's a shame really, but ignorance isn't something I wish to invest time in." He said, standing and beckoning upwards with his hand. Ketsurui jumped up, a blankness filling her other wise quiet expression.

"I do understand. We're fully aware of you'r prestige. We don't take your reputation as lightly as you seem to think." The man countered, receiving several nods of agreement from the crowd. If there was one thing her father had... it was a name. The walls had eyes... the skies had ears... he was everywhere. There is no escape from the soil below your feet.