16. El mar

It's Monday and I wake up with not only a headache but pain on my rib cage as well. The noise of my alarm rumbles in my head and turn this horrible sound of. Next to me I hear someone mutter while rolling around.

"Morning babe" his voice groggy and his eyes still half shut. "Morning" I whisper and feel his warm hands on my waist pulling me down again. I lay on his chest looking up to his face "we should probably get up" I murmur unto his chest while I cuddle unto him "or we could just stay here all day"
"Hmm" I agree but when my stomach growls I finally push myself up and walk in the kitchen.

After a few minutes sweet pea appears in the kitchen and we both follow our morning routines. In the bathroom I brush my teeth and my hair and when I shove of my clothes I see in the mirror what caused the pain. It's a small serpent tattoo on my left rib cage. Oh.my.lord. that looks so good. I admire myself in the mirror.
Choose you outfit:

Finally dressed I walk to the door when sweet pea comes behind me"Don't forget that" he pulls my serpent jacket up my arms and I can feel his smile in my neck

"Don't forget that" he pulls my serpent jacket up my arms and I can feel his smile in my neck. I turn around to give him a kiss and we are ready to go.

~At school

We walk down the hall hand in hand acknowledging the whispering but simply ignoring it. Sweet peas first lesson is physics when mine is music so our ways should separate now but he tugged on my hand spinning me around towards him. Our faces suddenly inches apart, he pushes me against the locker and a gasp leaves my lips from the sudden impact. My hands rest on his chest as he leans in. His one hand had curled around my jar as our lips met. I can feel the heat rising up inside of me, his other hand now traveling down my back stopping at my waist. I trap his shirt and pull him closer to me when suddenly the bell rings and we stop.

An evil smile plays around his lips and he walks away leaving me totally overwhelmt at the locker. I sigh trying to concentrate again and prepare myself for music. I pick up my bag that slid of my shoulder during our little make out session and get going.

"Hey Julia... wow are you a serpent now?" I turn around to see Reggies irritated face behind me.
"Hi Reggie and yes I am" he already annoys me but my voice sounds sweet.
"Why?" He touches my shoulder making me stop walking.
I don't answer because what should I tell him? It's none of his business.
After some awkward staring into his eyes he let's it slide.

"I was looking for you because I wanted to ask you something" he starts flirting again
"Yeah?"
"Would you like to go to the ball with me?"
Oh Lord how do I say this nicely "ehm I'm sorry Reggie but I already have a date" I try to smile but it looks awkward.
"Who is the lucky one then?" He seems a bit too interested
"Sweet pea" I say unimpressed
"What? That serpent? Why?" He stops me again.
"Because he's my boyfriend and i..." but I don't get to finish
"Yeah maybe when you where on the Southside. But you're not anymore. You don't fit to this Southside lifestyle... you belong here" looking me deeply in the eyes and holding my shoulder.

For a moment I hold still thinking about what he said.... do I fit this north side life better? But then I feel my tattoo burning on my skin and I remember.
"You don't know me reggie" I sigh about him not being capable of understanding me.
"Yeah anyways we should go to music now Mrs. Scherzer doesn't like delay." seeming a bit sad about what I said he gently touches my back and pushes me down the corridor.

~Music

Mrs. Scherzer was talking about the form of a sonata but I couldn't really focus on Mozart and the way he composed but instead I was thinking about sweet pea. What he said last night wouldn't get out of my head "now everybody knows where you belong"
Why did he say that? Wasn't that clear already? I can't help but think that he alluded to guys like Reggie. So that he would not only know that I'm a Southsider but also that I'm sweet peas girlfriend and...

"Julia are you listening?"
Mrs. Scherzers sharp voice cut of my thoughts. Shit
"O-of course I am" please don't ask me something please just don't.
"Yeah then you can tell me which of Mozarts sonatas for pianos is the best known" her voice overly sure I wouldn't know the answer.
"the 16th" I answer monotone and her formerly victorious face turns into a serious one.

Her bad that I got an unusual affinity to music. But she was determined to show me up "Yeah and the key it is written in?"
Uff honestly no idea, why would anybody know that? I hate when teacher feel like they have to demonstrate their superior power. I sigh "C major" I guessed without showing my insecurity.
"Correct, well we shall continue then..." my teacher continues and I drift off again.

The next thing I notice is the bell ringing. I pack my things and walk out of the room. Fangs comes towards me "hey Ju that was so funny" he refers to my stichomythia with Mrs. Scherzer "really cool" he jokingly punches my arm and we head to a 'break room' with sofas and everything. I sit down in between Kevin and sweet pea.  "Nice jacket" Kevin whispers and winks at me. "Thanks" I lean towards him and smile when veronica and Josie enter the room.

"I don't think we've properly met" she stretches her hand out to Toni "Veronica Lodge." She chirps with her sweet voice.
"Of the Park Avenue Lodges" jug adds and spreads his little finger up in the air. Toni understands the sign and takes Ronnies hand.
"Toni Topaz" they shake hands
"Oh, like the purple-coloured gemstone. Love it" V notices
"And I'm Josie McCoy, formerly of the Pussycats" Josie speaks up "now just josie" her voice now a bit glumly.
A smile appears on her face again as she points on Kev
"And this is Kevin."

Fangs and Kevin share some eye contact "what's your name?"
"Fogarty" fangs starts as he chews on his Twizzler "or you can call me Fangs" Kevin nods with a kind smile "your last names Keller, right?"
"How did you know that?" Kevin wonders
"Joaquin and I used to hang out. He talked about you all the time" fangs crosses his legs and Kevin raises an eyebrow, obviously flattered by the thought of Joaquin talking about him.

"You guys" a deep chalky voice sounds through the room "yes, you. Come with me" we turn around to see an angry principal weatherbee standing in the door "now" we all get up and follow him.

We walk out of the room and down the hall to see Reggie and some bulldogs standing in front of a snake griffiti sprayed over the schools seal on the floor.

"Which of you defaced our school seal with this graffiti?" The principal points to the floor.
I look at Reggie who crossed his arms in front of his chest with an innocent expression on his face "this is what they do, principal weatherbee. They tag their turf." He points on the giant snake on the floor.

I'm not the only one who sees right through him "my god Reggie, could you be any more transparent?" Veronica spats. Reggie just nodds "effective immediatley: no gang behaviour of any kind will be tolerated in my school. As of this moment, no more serpent jackets."

Devastated I look at veronica.
"What?" Sweet Pea can't believe this
"You are kidding right?" Jughead adds but principal weatherbee continues "no more serpent jackets. All tattoos are gonna be covered. Possession of any gang paraphernalia will lead to immediate suspension, clear?" I look at sweet pea in disgust "are we clear?" Weatherbee repeats. Fangs exhales hardly "that's all" weatherbee discharges leaving bulldogs full of malice and defeated serpents in the hallway.
Shaking our heads we walk away.

Reggie really couldn't stand seeing me in a serpent jacket.