84. Me & your ghost

Humans are part of only 3-5 % of mammals that pair bond. The neural basis for monogamy comes from the neural network we develop as babies when we are being mothered, perhaps that is why we often call our lover, "baby." But here comes the interesting part, if you are physical with anyone you aren't sure you want to stay with for the rest of your life, then you damage your own ability for your pair bond to last a lifetime... you start to learn how to break that bond, or perhaps, even worse, that love isn't good. So, learn from the animals that pair bond for life, sex forms the pair bond.

Why am I telling you this?
Because I am laying on a bed at stonewall prep. Bret Weston Wallace's bed to be more specific.
His lips pressed on mine, arms resting next to my head, trapping me under his muscular body.

But let me explain how I got here and for that we need to go back two days.

A typical dinner at the Jones's house. Jellybean, Fp and I are sitting in front of the TV, eating beans on toast while laughing at the comedy show.

My phone rings, causing the entire sofa to vibrate with it.
Although the sound didn't startle me at all, I still drop a few beans on the couch. My phone still ringing, I grab a napkin and wipe them off while cursing. Jb and fp laughing at the sight of me struggling.

"I'm coming" I growl and press the green button.
"Hello?" I say, getting up and walking a few steps away from the living room.
"Julia, hey. Look you can't have sex with Bret" Betty's voice sounds alarmingly serious while I hope for it to be a joke.
"What?" I scream a bit too loud.
"What the hell- I- what?"
"He taped Moose and probably several more having sex in his room. Maybe even Jug and me" she explains. I never wanted to imagine them having sex but thanks.

"Ehm, okay, thanks. Not that I was planning on having sex with him, though" I whisper, not wanting the two people next door to here anything.
"Just letting you know. He is disgusting, you should be careful"
"Ok, thanks, bye" i stutter. I mean what the hell am i supposed to do with that information.

Majorly confused and thrown off I walk back into the living room.
"What was that about? Sounded serious" fp says but his eyes never leave the TV.
"Betty... just got her period" I mumble.
"Maseltov" jellybean laughs while fp just nods and hums trying not to get involved in any girl problems.

With another excuse I sneak off to my room and lie down on my bed.
Getting lost scrolling through social media, more than an hour passes.
My phone rings again. On the screen Betty's name pops up.
With a sigh I answer the call.
"No betty during those two hours I haven't slept with Bret"
A little laugh sounds from the other line "Forget everything I said earlier" she starts explaining her plan, how she wants to sneak into the basement of stonewall prep to find the tapes Bret owns of people having sex. Sick.

My part in this whole thing is I have to distract Bret, so that he won't go downstairs and catch the Coopers.
So I texted him.

At 6PM the next day I walk down the hall of Stonewall Prep but not with excitement like I used to. No, in fact I am scared. If it's true what Betty is saying, Bret is a manipulating freak and I should be careful.
And worst of all, Betty would be right once more and I was the naive little girl getting involved with a bad guy.

My hands lay down on the doorknob and I take a deep breath.

"Hey, Julia"
Like a startled deer I turn around to see Bret. But he doesn't seem to notice how unsettled I feel and opens the door to let both of us in.
"Hi" I say, controlling my voice "You startled me" a nervous chuckle.

The room is empty, Jughead is at the schools library, probably writing on his latest book. He prefers writing in a different place than his dorm room, says it inspires him more and I get that.