48. Orbit

"Julia Monroe, please report to the principal office"

I sigh and get up from my seat.
"Yes, Mr. Weatherbee" I peek through the door
"Please, come in" his voice serious and sad

Sitting on the chair in front of him I wait for the principal to explain why I'm here, but it's obviously hard for him to tell me.

"So, yesterday in the evening I received a message... it's about your father"
"I lost my father when I was just a kid" but I know who he is talking about, I just don't want anything to do with him.

"Your foster father... he passed away from cardiac infarction" he hands me a piece of paper "this is the invitation to his funeral. My sincerest condolences"

I take the black envelope and stand up "you don't need to return to class if you don't want to miss monroe"
"Thank you Mr. Weatherbee" I smile sadly but in reality I couldn't care less. He doesn't know what happend.

"So?" Sweet Pea whispers as I sit down next to him, back in class.
"I'll tell you later" I put the envelope into my notebook and focus on the lesson.

We sit on a table in the school yard eating something.
"So, basically my foster father died and Mr. Weatherbee all sad and all gave me the invitation to his funeral"
"Hm" sweet pea nods
"I'm not gonna go anyways" I shrug my shoulders

"Where aren't you going?" Betty asks as she and jug sit down next to us
"Nothing important" I don't need them to know because betty would probably want me to go.

"I'm just gonna go to the toilet real quick" I get up and briefly look for a tampon in my bag and walk away not noticing that some papers fell out.

Betty gets up to pick them up when she notices the black paper.
"Her father is dead?" She looks confused at Jughead
"Well for like 10 years right?" He replies
"Hey, that's not your business" sweet pea takes the paper out of her hand.

"Ju, who died?" Betty questions julia who just returned from the bathroom.
"What?" I look at sweet pea "my foster father..."
"Don't be mad, it fell out of your bag" Jughead explains

"Oh, well it's not important" I sit down take my bag
"Why? Aren't you going?" Betty looks at me "he is your father"
"No he's not" throwing the bag over my shoulder and sweet pea and I walk away.

Still at the table
"Do you know why her actual parents died in the first place?" Betty wonders
"They were murdered?"
"Yeah but why?"
"Want to do some digging after school?" They look at each other and it seems like they found a new case.

"I told you betty would do that" Julia and sweet pea walking down the hall "i mean her father is a serial killer... she should understand that there are broken families"
"She's from the Northside" sweet pea answers "my mother left us when I wasn't even a year old and when my dad died years later from an overdose, the serpents took me in. That's how it works on the southside"
"I just hope she isn't going all Nancy drew again lol"

Betty and Jughead meet up after school at pops
"So, what did you find out"
"Well, I looked up her parents" betty pulls out her notes "Her mother Anna Monroe was a doctor and her father Carlos Monroe García was a judge"
"Carlos Monroe... where have I heard of him before" Jughead thinks loud

"I don't know, he's originally from Spain"
"Hmm, right she was born in Valencia but moved to New york when she was just 3"
"Yeah but the murder wasn't in Riverdale, so it's probably hard to get any files about the case"
"Or... we could just ask her" betty proposes

"I doubt she will talk about it. Moreover, she's not gonna be too happy about us snooping around in her past"
Betty sighs "I know, but it would be the easiest because she witnessed everything"
"Well I could try talking to her later"
"And I'll look through some of her father's cases, maybe some kind of revenge or something"

"Sweet Pea?" Looking at my boyfriend with big eyes. I'm sitting on his leg around the fireplace. We're alone.
"Do you think I should go?"
"Where?" Is he slow on the uptake?
"The funeral"

"Honestly, I think you should. Maybe he was a horrible person and this could be the end of this chapter in your life. Just for closure"
"Are you coming with me?"
"Always" kissing my forehead.

Suddenly Jughead sits down next to us
"Hey, jules... can I ask you something?"
"Sure"
"It's probably hard to talk about but what do you remember of your parents murder"
"Hey, man, leave her alone" sweet pea spits
"It's bot hard to talk about" I reply "just hard to remember. It was in October, I was 9 years old, when 2 men with guns broke into our house in the evening and...started shooting"

I decided to tell him, hoping he's not gonna ask again.
"Where were you when it happend?" Folding his hands
"I was in my room and peeked through the door"
"Do you remember how they looked? I mean they were never found"
"They had black ski masks and their back was facing me so... I don't know"

I frown as the vivid image of all the blood and the screaming appears in front of my inner eye. I don't want to talk about it anymore. I mean I closed that part of my past, that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt anymore I simply accepted the facts.
"At that time you lived in new York. It's a big city and your father had an important job... do you think he had any foes?"

"My father was a great man" I snap at him "just like my mother. I told you everything I know so please stop snooping around" I get up and walk away. I got really tired and just want to sleep now.

~the next week, day of the funeral

After further investigation Betty may have found the missing piece in the Monroe-murder.
"Have you found anything new?" Betty asks as she enters the room of the blue and gold where jug is sitting on a chair.
"Well, I talked to Julia but it didn't go too well and I couldnt get any more information out of her"

"But I may have found the answer. First I went through her father's cases but he was a fair and respected person. Nothing suspicious until I found this" she throws a pile of papers on the desk in front of her boyfriend.

"What the hell?"