83. Never enough

The bell dings.

"Well, time's up. Riverdale has won. They will go on to face Stonewall Prep in the finals" the mc declares and the show ends.

I came to watch my friends and they did great, the other team didn't stand a chance. But apparently I was bot the only one to watch them.

"Hey, Julia"
I turn around to see Bret smiling down at me.
"Hi, I didn't expect you to come. Congrats on getting into the finals by the way"
"Yeah, I wanted to check out the opponents" he laughs
"They are pretty good. I'm sorry but I think Riverdale High is taking the trophy home" I place a mocking smile on my lips.

"We will see. Why aren't you in the team though?" He looks over to the others and then back at me.
"They asked me but I just have a lot going on right now" I stutter, he does not need to know I am in therapy.
"But cheryl filled in so, yeah" I say but Cheryl is not doing too well, she hasn't answered one question this round.

On the other side of the studio Jughead is talking to Betty.
"You did great" he places a kiss on his girlfriends forehead.
"Great night not be enough to beat him" betty glances over to Bret.
"She is spending a lot of time with him lately" jughead frowns.
"And I dont like it" betty whispers
"I thought she was doing it to get back at me for using her tragedy for my book, she didn't forgive me as fast as you did. But now I think there could be more than that between them" he sighs and rips his eyes from them.
"Bret is clearly brainwashing her" betty scoffs.

"Let's just get her back together with Sweet pea" she tilts her head, still looking at the two.
"Some more meddling? I'm in" jug nods
"Until the winter ball in January, she will be back with sweet pea" betty says while determination settles in her body.

"I guess I'll see you at the finale and you can watch me win again"
"We will see" I reply to his smug expression and walk over to Betty and Jughead.

"Hey, betty you were so good" I give her a hug but ignore jughead.
"Hi, Ju. Thanks" her smile slowly fades away "You're good with Bret?" She asks as if I was not allowed to have my own friends.
"Yes Betty. I like him and I can't hate every single one of your nemesis, they are just too many. You are making a mountain out of a molehill" maybe I'm a bit too defensive but I'm tired of her constant need to control everything. I'm not a naive little child she has to protect. And what is she gonna do, write an article about it?

"I just have a bad feeling about him, and I'm not the only one" she frowns. I know she is referring to Jug, who is pretty quiet right now. I'm still mad at him anyway.
"But you always have a bad feeling" a mild, little smile appears on my face
"Like with the farm? And was I wrong?" Her eyebrows rise.
"No" I sigh "but you have more important things to focus one right now. You just win this quiz show, I'll be fine"

After that we all head home since we have to be up early to prepare the fund raiser at school. Every year the senior class goes skiing as their last school trip before going off to college.
But since we get to fund ourselves, we had to organize a fundraiser.

So tomorrow we will decorate the school, set up tables to sell food, drinks and old books that younger students or parents can buy. Some of us have to do special things, for example Archie, Ronnie, Toni, Kevin, Cheryl and some others attempt the battle of the bands. The highlight of the day is a soccer match and since it's the era of feminism the girls get to do it instead of the boys.

Basically, I have to play soccer tomorrow. Which is fine, I'm actually pretty good at it. But what isn't fine is getting up early on a Saturday to prepare everything.

I wake as if it's an emergency, as if sleeping had become a dangerous thing. My heart beats fast, just thinking about the game. I swing my legs off the bed and get dressed. Quickly I pour down the glass of orange juice and put my soccer uniform into a bag.

When I arrive, everybody is already working hard. Decorating everything in blue and gold, well it's yellow, and setting up tables. The 'bands' are doing a sound check and I make my way to the soccer field.

As you could've guessed its team blue versus team yellow. I put on my blue trikot, pull my hair into a high ponytail and brush the baby hairs that surround my face away with a headband.

Although I have a long sleeved shirt under my jersey, it's still freezing. I mean it's winter.
We start warming up.

Later on people can bet on a team, I just hope I don't suck, since Fp and everyone else came to cheer for me.
No pressure.
Hopefully, this is worth it and we earn enough money to fund our skiing trip.