64. Hate me

"Do you guys remember when we were here, at the end of summer break?" Jug plays with the straw of his milkshake
"Well, I don't" I laugh nervously, standing at their table although I should wait on other customers who just came through the doors of pops choclit shop.

"It was the day my dad had his accident" Archie's head sinks down "you were still in spain"
"Anyway, I proposed to go camping, are you guys still up for it?" Jughead continues
"Sure" Ronnie forces out a smile. I know she doesn't like camping since she is used to her penthouse.
"It's perfect since this weekend is going to be the last warm one before fall starts" Betty says enthusiastically.

"What about you?" Jug looks at me
"You have to come" Betty pleads
"If I dont have to work" I glimpse at ronnie aka my boss
"Of course you don't"
"Great, I'm so excited" my hands fly through the air
"And you just can't hide it" Jughead mocks me and I respond with a fake laugh.

"Ehm, so Ju could you get me some of that delicious... shepherd pie?" Betty raises her eyebrows at me
"Shepherd's pie? We don't serve that" I turn the tray around in my hands.

"I ate one piece last time I was here" Betty throws a look over to veronica
"Oh, yes we do. It's ehm in the... basement. Yes, the basement" V puts on her typical charming smile.
I leave out a sigh and make my way downstairs.

"What was that about?" Archie frowns at betty
"You dont even like Shepherd's pie" jug chuckles
"And we don't serve it" ronnie adds
"Guys. I want to propose something before she comes back. Ok so how about we invite sweet pea?" An excited grin plays around her pink lips.

"But they broke up. Julia is still pretty heartbroken" Jughead explains
"Unless we get them to make up" clarity lays on Veronica's face
"I don't kn-" Archie frowns but is cut off by Betty.
"Mission: get Julia and sweet pea back together starts now"

"Sorry, Betty I couldn't find any Shepherd's pie. Are you sure we have it ronnie?" I return to their table.

"Shepherd's pie? Oh no I said apple pie" a nervous laugh escapes Betty's mouth
"Aha" I get suspicious "Do you want me to bring you one now?"
"Oh no it's alright" she winks off
"Okay? I'll get back to work then"
"Do that"

"Have you packed everything?" Fp questions as Jug and I are already half through the door.
"Yes, dad" jug screams
"Bye bye Fp" I wave and throw my bag over my shoulder before I hop on jugheads motorcycle.
Through the helmet I hear a distant
"Have fun"
And we take off to Riverdales local woods.

Do you know this moment when you walk to your friends who are already in a group and they all look at you. And you don't know what do to and where to look? Yeah that's pretty awkward. And it's not bad enough, I see Sweet pea standing next to Archie.
Oh god what is he doing here.

Remember when we agreed on being friends? Well it's still awfully painful just standing next to him. And now I have to spend an entire night and day with him. Help.

We get off and say hello to everybody.
"Are you ready for an awesome camping trip? My dad used to go to the woods a lot when I was younger" a mild smile appears on Archie's face as he strolls down memory lane.

For a long time we walked deeper into the forest because of some reasons boyscout archie explained and I didn't listen to.

While in the beginning the forest was alive with birds chirping and leaves crushing beneath our feet, it is now ominously quiet. Only our footfalls and the susurration of the leaves in the gusty wind can be heard. Looking up, I am transfixed by the myriad of fluttering leaves that danced in the high boughs, making a living roof above us. 

After a walk that seemed to have lasted forever we reach a place Archie finds acceptable to spend the night at. Since it starts getting dark we pit up our tents.

When Jugs tent was finally put up it looked somewhat dishevelled. The ropes that should have been tight had plenty of give in them and the bottom should have been pulled out more when they pegged it. Jug wasn't pleased. He compared it to the other's on the site and found his wanting. He stood, fists clenching and unclenching then he flew around it pulling out all the pegs. With the grey clouds gathering overhead and the light fading it was perhaps an unwise move and Betty next to me looks pretty concerned.

With the help of Arch and sweet pea his tent is built half an hour later.

There was only one thing I didn't consider. Of course I do not own a tent so I figured I would sleep in jugs with him. But betty didn't bring a tent either and Veronica is going to sleep in one with Archie. So Betty and Jughead, the couple, are going to share a tent which leaves me with one option. The ground because I'm sure as hell not going to sleep in one tent with my ex boyfriend.

Us three girls wander into the forest collecting sticks for the campfire while the guys set up everything else.

"You know, I'm starting to really like this. Just me and my friends in beautiful mother nature like god created it" V purrs, bending down to pick up wood.

I chuckle and continue to look for good sticks until a scream makes me turn my head just to see Ronnie jumping away from a bug.
Betty and I start laughing so much our stomach hurts.

Finally, we return to the camp and the guys start the fire.
The heat from the campfire seemed to be sucked into the frigid air before ever reaching our frozen hands. It did get really cold in the shielded forest. The guys add more wood and poke it with long sticks. It seemed to die a little as if unsure of itself, unready to devour the new offerings. It licked at the new logs like a nervous kitten and sent feeble sparks to die in the air. But after a time it found it's confidence and grew until the heat warmed us, orange flames celebrated with their wild flickering dance.

It will have to last through the night. Someone will have to stay up and nurse it through the darkest hours, guard it, feed it.
We sit around it, chatting and roasting marshmallows.

"I got a B on the last history test" ronnie sighs.
"That's good why are you sighing?" Archie laughs
"Because we have a new teacher and I wanted to make a great first impression and a B is not good enough. Maybe my standards are just higher than yours" she raises an eyebrow at her boyfriend.

"Ronnie, I think that B might be standing for bitch" I joke and everybody starts laughing.
"So Jones how is that new school?" Sweet pea questions
"It's great. It's pretty fastidious but I really like it. The people are just weird, this Bret is giving me a hard time"

"Can we please stop talking about school? This is probably the last weekend I won't have to study for exams" archie rolls his eyes.

We change the topic and continue laughing.

"Alright" V gets up stands behind Archie, touching his shoulders "I think I'll go to sleep now. Archikins?"
She enters the tent seductively and Archie hurries after her with a quick "good night guys"

Sweet pea scooches next to me
"You can sleep in my tent if you want to. I'll guard the fire for a while"
"Thanks" I blush and lay down in his tent to sleep. When he wants to sleep I will watch the fire and we won't have to sleep in one tent.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.