44. Sober

"Blossom, topaz break it up" Mooses voice sounds behind the hand-holding couple, causing them to turn around.
"Bite me, moose" Cheryl hisses
Now Kevin and the rest of the RROTC group turn around the corner.

"Its one of the new school rules" kev explains "all physical contact must be kept to a minimum"
"That doesn't make any sense. There hasn't been any seizures for weeks"
"Yeah and what about those two" Cheryl points at sweet pea and julia making out pressed against the lockers "I can smell the sex across the hall"

"Sweet Pea, julia" Kevin speaks up but sweet pea turns around giving him an angry look "fuck off" and continues.
"RROTC doesn't make the rules, Toni." Facing them again, knowing better then starting a fight with sweet pea.
"No. You just enforce them, like the crypto-fascist you are" Cheryl walks closer to Kevin pushing his chest, then turns around and walks away with her girlfriend.

~

After school we meet at the serpents residence/ camping space because jug called in for a meeting.
"All right, serpents. It's come to my attention that one of us has been dealing fizzle rocks" jug, sitting on an armchair to his side betty and fp, speaks up.

Next to me sweet pea, fangs, Toni and Cheryl. Wondering who it was I look around.
"Slinging dopes is bot what serpents do. So, from this moment on, we're going clean. There will be no selling or doing drugs. No crime of any kind will be tolerated" Jughead really embodied his new role as serpent king.
"Anyone that breaks the serpent code will be exiled. Permanently"

"I think it's pretty ridic" Cheryl walks closer to jughead
"We got no money coming in, jug" now fangs stands up "I mean, how are we supposed to eat? Survive?" And he is not wrong, even with my work at pops it's not enough and I already lost some weight.

Jughead doesn't have an answer so fp helps out "we'll figure it out and get back to you, fangs. All of you. In the meantime..." putting his hand up doing the serpent sign "in unity there is strength."
We all repeat but the desperate atmosphere is spreading all over the place.

In the evening Jughead has something to announce so we meet up around the fireplace.
"Earlier today... I brokered a deal. Got us a paid gig" walking around "from here on out, We'll be working security detail for veronica lodge, her speakeasy, and her employees.

"Long live the serpents. Whoo!" Sweet pea shouts next to me as we all start to clap and to cheer. But Jughead stops us "settle down"

"I know it's good news for a change, but I've also gathered us here for less celebratory reasons." Sweet pea and I share eye contact and I start to feel worried.
"Cheryl, Toni. Come up here"
"Excuse me?" Cheryl, holding Tonis hand, is not having it "What did we do?"

And jug doesn't hesasitate to answer her question "You broke into the lodge apartment and stole a Glamergé egg"
"So what if we did?" Cheryl getting up from her folding chair.
"Well, more than that, you left your calling card... attaching yourself, and, by extension, all of the serpents to your crime.

"I'm bot afraid of lodge. What's he gonna do? Call the sheriff? Oh, right, there is no sheriff" it's true Hiram lodge is messing this town up. Buying different places, his wife in the mayor's office, putting the town under lockdown, and getting rid of the sheriff.

"That's not the point. You broke the code" after short hesitation He reaches a decision "turn in your jackets and go"
"Are you serious, Jones?" Tonis voice calm but full of anger "I'm a serpent by blood. You can't take that away from me" she presses out between gritted teeth, her eyes watering up.

"You hypocrite. You give your body fangs a pass, but crucify us?" Cheryl spits and I can see fangs tending up.
"In case you're wondering how we know" oh oh "fangs told sweet pea, who told Julia, who told me" Toni explains
"Who told me" Cheryl adds "And if you ask for our jackets, shouldn't you ask for his?"

"Jug" betty whispers
"You're right" Jugheads voice low and deep
"Fangs, give me your jacket" reaching out his arm
"Hey. What the hell, man?" Sweet Pea furious but jug stops him by grabbing his jacket

"It's okay, sweet pea" fangs gets up and sweet pea pushes jugs arm away.
Fangs puts off his jacket and throws it on the ground "some leader you are"
Sweet Pea picks up his jacket and runs after him But fp stands in his way.

"Cheryl? Toni?" Now facing them again
This is making me really sad, how could this happen?
"We'll go, but we're keeping our jackets" Cheryl crossing her arms.

"Fine. But I need that egg back"
"Come again?" She laughs
"You Need to give me that Damn egg. Or veronica won't give us the protection contract"
"Why would I care? I'm not a serpent" her arrogant voice and attitude are starting to piss me off and it seems like jug as well.

"Cause I believe that you still have honor, cheryl" his voice louder, pointing at her while he steps closer "and it's getting cold out" he looks at me because he knows what im thinking. "Winter is coming" I would laugh at his game of thrones reference if it wasn't such a serious topic.
"and the rest of us don't get to go back to thistlehouse"

That's true, we are pretty much homeless and Cheryl doesn't care about us anymore just because she is not a serpent anymore? Why would she steal anyway, I know that she comes from a rich family.