Chapter Sixty One

WARNING: mentions of sexual assault (rape)

Rosé

A cold draft of wind billows through the open window making my body tremble. As I flutter my eyes open, a soft glow illuminates the bedroom. Sitting up, I roam my eyes around the room and when I see the varsity jacket with the name Carter on the back near the closet, I realize it's Daniel's bedroom.

It's cold so I tug the bed covers over my body, sighing when I feel the warmth seeping into my bones. The bedroom door opens and my lips tug into a soft smile when I see Daniel.

He sits on the bed beside me, watching me with a soft yet upset gaze.

"Are you okay?"

I hum with a frown. Why is he asking I'm okay? Did something happen? I can't remember how I ended up in his bed. And why does he look upset?

"Are you cold?" He asks.

I nod with a shy smile. Daniel tenderly flicks my nose before getting up and walking into his closet. Returning back with a blue sweatshirt, he hands it to me. I bathe in the warmth of his sweatshirt and his woodsy, cottony scent.

For a sweet, hush moment, we stare into each other's eyes with nothing but love and adoration. Every time I look into his warm eyes, my tummy swarms with butterflies. I reach out and grab his hand and intertwine our fingers. Daniel moves closer to me, resting an arm across my waist, on the bed.

"How do you know Wren, Rosé?" He unexpectedly asks.

Flustered, my lips part and my eyes round as I stare at Daniel who is frowning in worry and frustration. My cheeks blush as I feel disheartened by the dark memories coming back.

I've told him my truth but not my entire truth. I trust him and he deserves to know because he's become a part of me and my life. I love him. But I'm scared of what he'll do. Daniel is unpredictable. He hasn't said or asked anything about my story even after I told him but that doesn't mean he won't. To me, it feels like he's holding back—maybe out of respect for me or if he doesn't know how to handle my situation—whatever it is, it's slowly breaking his restraint.

"Six years ago, Nate and I moved in with the Hudson family. After our parents died, we were put into the system because Nate was too young to take care of us both and we had no other family."

Nate was seventeen when our parents died in a car crash. We lived with the Hudson's for two years before we left for good.

"They were super rich but Michael and Karina Hudson were never around so we were all left alone for months on end. West was caring in the beginning, he made us laugh, he took care of us. Wren was a different story, he was colder and spiteful, especially to me. I thought he was angry that two strangers became a part of his family but I was wrong."

I nervously bite my lip and tug on the sweatshirt sleeves as the memories flood back like a wave. I'm not afraid of talking about my past but it's the icky feeling that submerges me in that I hate.

"One night, West and Nate left the house, leaving me alone with Wren. I was in my bedroom, studying when Wren walked in and asked if I could help him with a chemistry assignment. I didn't think much of it so I helped him. We got to his bedroom and I was oddly comfortable until Wren locked the door." I pause for a moment as the nightmarish memory plays like it happened yesterday.

"Wren...he began touching me," I blink away the tears, "Being so young and vulnerable, and clueless, I was so scared, Daniel."

Daniel moves closer to me, brushing away my hair and reassuring me that it's okay if I don't want to go on but I do.