Chapter Sixty Three

Rosé

2:00 am.

Closing the refrigerator, I walk out onto the balcony and plop down on the bench with the tub of cherry-flavored ice cream in my hands. The night sky is so dark and glittering with stars.

I can't sleep.

Not only from the exhaustion of our love-making but also from the constant thoughts of Wren.

Wren still has my video and I'm scared that he's going to upload it as revenge. He has had some sick obsession with me since the beginning otherwise he wouldn't be doing all this to me. What more does he want from me after taking everything from me?

"What are you doing out here?" Daniel raspily says, scaring me.

I glance at him as he stands in the doorway of the balcony, shirtless with his gray sweatpants on, his bedraggled hair, and his drowsy eyes.

"I couldn't sleep." I tell him softly.

Daniel walks over and slumps down next to me, throwing his head onto my shoulder, his arm slinging over my waist. I smile and hold the spoon full of ice cream in front of him which he consumes in a heartbeat.

His body heat is comforting and the cold I was feeling from the light breeze disappears because of his warmth.

He's still here. Even after knowing every single dark secret of mine. He isn't disgusted with me. He doesn't hate me. He comforted me and reassured me. He didn't blame me.

Unlike those cops and lawyers and doctors Nate and I sought help in. They let me down. They blamed me for being young and asking for it. They said boys will be boys. Michael and Karina turned their backs on us and bought their son out of trouble. They tried to silence me with money. Nate tried so hard to get me justice, to lock Wren behind bars but his parents were rich and we were two orphans. In the end, we gave up.

"What's wrong?" Daniel lifts his head and brushes my hair away from my face.

I put the ice cream tub aside and grab his hand to intertwine our fingers together. My eyes sting with unshed tears as I gaze at him.

"Wren still has my video...what if he—"

"No," Daniel cuts me off, his eyes hard with confidence, "He won't because I'll make sure of it. I promise you that, baby."

I nibble on my bottom lip as my mind goes back to what Madison said.

"Madison threatened me if I don't break up with you, she'll post the video for the whole world to see."

Madison hates me because I'm with Daniel, she's obsessed with him and I'm afraid she might convince Wren to hurt me with that video.

"Madison is crazy, forget about her," Daniel tugs me into him and hugs me to his chest, "I'm sorry that because of me, you got hurt again."

"You have nothing to apologize for. It wasn't your fault." I quietly say as I look up at him from under my lashes.

Daniel faintly smiles before pecking my forehead. I close my eyes at the sweet gesture.

"What happened between you and Madison?" I carefully ask him, "You don't have to talk about it, I just thought..."

"She was my girlfriend," Daniel nonchalantly says, "We had a toxic relationship. We'd fight all the time and never prioritized communication. It was always parties, fights, sex—it was an endless, tiring cycle. After being with her for four months, I realized I never had any feelings for her, it was just physical attraction. So I wanted out. But Madison was a different story. She was in love with me."