Chapter 2

Arthur, Charles, Javier and Josiah had all left camp to go rescue Sean Macguire. Grace sat at the main campfire with Uncle and Abigail, listening to Uncle ramble on about the things he has claimed to have done.

"They use to call me the fastest shooter back in my day," Uncle started. Abigail raised an eyebrow at the old man, a small smirk crossing onto her face.

"I don't believe that for a second," Abigail stated. Uncle waved the bottle around in his hand.

"Well they did! I'd say as much like Morgan in my days," Uncle added. Abigail held back a laugh and Grace looked at the old man.

"Let's hope Arthur don't turn out to be like you then," Grace chuckled. Uncle frowned, his forehead creasing. 

"I was! Now lumbago has caught up to me, it's-"

"Very serious," Abigail and Grace finished. Uncle's mouth clamped tightly shut as he stared at the two women. Abigail looked down at her soft hands that sat in her lap. "How's John?" Grace asked. John had gotten stuck on a mountain during the snow, scratched his face up pretty bad. Abigail nodded.

"Considering the scars that'll be left, he is doing okay," Abigail informed, a grin on her face. Abigail tried to hide the fact that she loves that man but we could all see it. She always said it was for Jack but we all knew she just wanted to be a real family. 

"That's good to hear. He still resting up?" Grace asked and Abigail nodded before waving a finger in the air and frowning.

"'Not for long!' John reckons. When he reckons something, things seem to go the opposite way," Abigail chuckled. Grace nodded and Uncle continued to sit there, drinking from his bottle and frowning.

"I'm still here ladies," Uncle reminded. Abigail and Grace turned to look at the drunk old man.

"We know," Grace hissed. Uncle looked offended before being interrupted by little Jack, running towards Abigail with wide eyes. Abigail immediately got alarmed seeing her little boy scared.

"Ma! Ma!" Jack called out as he ran over. Abigail opened her arms, lifting the boy onto her lap as she frowned, looking down at her son.

"What is it Jack?" She asked, a hand rubbing his back comfortingly. 

"The new lady, she is saying some mean things to Mr Duffy!" Jack informed. Abigail's lips pursed together tight as she held her boy close.

"It's okay, she won't hurt you," Abigail comforted. Jack looked up at Abigail, shaking his head quickly.

"I know but I don't want anyone hurt," Jack cried out. The fear in that kids eyes, he had seen so much happen these past few months. Things that a child shouldn't see. Grace got up from her seat, looking down at Jack and Abigail.

"It's okay Jack, I'll go see to it," Grace informed. Abigail gave Grace a warm smile as she hugged her child. Jack didn't say anything as he watched Grace walk towards where Kieran was tied up to the tree. When Grace neared Pearson's wagon, she could hear Sadie.

"Once you get out of these ropes, I'll cut you up into pieces," Sadie hissed. It had been O'Driscolls that killed her husband and Kieran was an O'Driscoll. However, Kieran claimed he weren't an O'Driscoll.

"M-M-Miss I...I don't know what you mean!" Kieran cried out in terror. Mrs Adler laughed and Grace finally approached the two.

"You sons-of-bitches killed my Jake, I'll kill you. You better pray you starve to death before I get my chance," Sadie warned. Grace watched as she spat in front of his boot.

"Mrs Adler?" Grace interrupted. Sadie looked over to see Grace and she quickly straightened up, tucking a strand of loose blonde hair behind her ear.

"Is there something you need?" Sadie grunted. Grace shook her head before looking at Kieran whose eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his skull. "Well then, I don't feel like talking," Sadie continued. Grace could see the hatred in the woman's eyes as she stared Kieran down. 

"Come, let's leave this scum," Grace insisted to the woman. Sadie looked back at Grace before looking at Kieran again. She watched the O'Driscoll as she made her way to Grace before finally looking away. "It's going to be okay," Grace comforted as the two woman walked away from him. Sadie shook her head, grief in her eyes.

"You all keep saying that but it won't...I need to be alone," Sadie muttered. Grace nodded understanding the woman before Sadie hurried off to be by herself.

"They're back!" Karen Jones called out. Grace grinned as she hurried over to welcome the boys and Sean back to camp, Karen holding her repeated in her hands as she stared up at Sean, her eyes lit up with happiness. 

"It's good to be home," Sean's strong Irish accent rung out. Sean began to chuckle when he saw Miss Jones a grin on his face. "Good to see ya missed me!"

"More glad to see you alive than back," Karen sneered. Sean chuckled as Karen marched past Grace, leaving the welcoming party. Mary-Beth and Tilly stood together, grinning. Sean waved at the ladies and they waved back. Sean made his way into camp, Dutch welcoming him with a warm hug.

"It's good to see you Sean," Dutch welcomed. Sean nodded before looking around the camp.

"This is a beautiful spot Mr Dutch!" Sean complimented. Arthur joined Grace sighing as he stepped beside the woman.

"The whole ride back he wouldn't shut up so Javier tells me," Arthur chuckled. Grace grinned,

"That don't surprise me, he likes the sound of his voice," Grace grinned. 

"I just want to say...I love you bastards!" Sean bellowed out in the camp, already with a drink in his hand. Grace pardoned herself as she walked over to Sean, Dutch approaching Arthur. Sean was now climbing onto a crate, grabbing everyone's attention. "Everything is going to be okay! Uncle Sean is back," Sean grinned, looking down at Jack. Sean looked over at Susan who was standing alone, staring at the already drunk Irish. "And don't you worry Miss Grimshaw...you old crone. I'll keep them girls in line... if I have to whip 'em I will," Sean grunted before Mary-Beth and Tilly called out to him, Karen laughing. "And don't you worry Mr.Pearson, you drunk ol' shit bag, it'll be nothin' but the finest game in the pot!" Sean boasted, talking himself up. Charles raised an eyebrow, looking at Javier who stood with him. Javier muttered something to Charles and Charles grinned. "Dead-eye Macguires back! And don't you worry Miss Grimshaw, we'll have this camp running like clockwork!" Sean continued. Susan chuckled.

"It's been goin' just fine without you!" She called out, the camp laughing with her. Sean snickered.

"I love you bastards...have fun! Have lots of fun!" Sean raised his bottle up as he finished his speech. 

"We intend to!" Mary-Beth called out as Sean climbed down from the crate. Everyone parted ways, preparing the camp for the party.