Chapter 11

"So you weren't hurt, Miss?" Karen asked, a puzzle expression on her face. Mary-Beth and Tilly say with their friend, all worried about what Sadie and Grace had gone through the say before. Grace shook her head.

"No, they didn't lay a single cut on me. Sadie's hands are only cut up from trying to open a locked window. It was an old window and splintered," Grace explained. The three women all looked at each other, not knowing what else to say to Grace.

"Well, we are glad you are back in one peace," Tilly grinned. Mary-Beth nodded with Tilly as Karen took a drink from her beer.

"Right. So that's where you and Mrs Adler ran off to yesterday," Mary-Beth smirked, remember yesterday when Sadie ordered her to do Grace's chores. "I guess I wasn't real impressed with having to do more work, but you were doing good for Dutch," Mary-Beth insisted. Grace could tell from her snatching the basket yesterday she defiantly wasn't impressed that she had to do double her work load but Grace had done most of it for her anyway. Grace realised Karen was no longer paying attention to the conversation, staring across the camp. Grace followed Karen's eyes, seeing her staring coldly at Molly. Grace frowned in confusion, turning back around to the girls.

"Karen, are you okay?" Grace asked politely. Karen's eyes flickered away from Molly, looking at the brown haired woman in front of her.

"Goddamn bitch she is. That's what's wrong," Karen snickered. Grace licked her lips slightly, still confused about what Karen was talking about.

"Karen punched her yesterday while you was gone," Tilly explained, realising Grace hadn't known. Grace raised her eyebrows in shock, surprised by Karen.

"Hey, she slapped me first!" Karen defended, taking another sip. Mary-Beth frowned at the blonde woman.

"Two wrongs shouldn't make it right," Mary-Beth pointed out. Grace and Tilly both agreed with Mary-Beth, Karen raising her eyebrows while looking down at her bottle.

"Does in my books. You should read it Mary-Beth," Karen spat. Mary-Beth's lips were pursed before she stood up from where she was sitting. 

"At least I have a nice hobby that doesn't make me say or do stupid things!" Mary-Beth hissed before storming off. Karen chuckled to herself, watching the angry Mary-Beth march away. Tilly glared at Miss Jones.

"Come on, Karen! Don't take out your anger on Miss Gaskill," Tilly sighed. Karen chuckled at the woman, looking from Tilly to Grace.

"Mary-Beth just can't take a joke," Karen slurred a little. Tilly shook her head, disappointed before getting up with a sigh. Tilly looked at Grace.

"I'm going to go see if Mary-Beth is okay," Tilly informed. Grace nodded at the girl and she hurried off in the direction her friend had marched, her head turning so often looking around. Grace looked back at Karen who was drowning herself in her drink. Grace shook her head, the poor woman. Grace got up, seeing Susan nearby. Susan happened to look over in her direction, Grace waving her over. Susan hurried over, wondering what Grace needed.

"Miss Peters, did you have a good sleep?" Susan asked politely as she approached Grace. Grace nodded, surprisingly she slept well after her situation last night. Grace motioned to Karen who now had her head resting on the circular table. Susan looked past Grace and her jaw tightened, furious. Susan looked back at Grace, thanking her for making her aware. Grace took a step away, letting Susan past. Susan snatched the drink from Karen's hand, causing Karen to sit upright in shock. "MISS JONES! GET TO WORK!" Susan roared at her. Karen frowned, growing annoyed.

"You ain't the boss of me, now leave me alone," Karen grunted, reaching for the bottle. Susan moved her hand with the bottle further away from Karen, causing the drunk woman to sigh.