Chapter 60

Arthur and Charles emerged from the native american hut, leaving Rains Fall to grieve alone. The two walked a few steps, passing the crowd that gathered to hear about Eagle Flies, Arthur turned to Charles with a stifled sigh as he held back the urge to cry after the events of the day. Eagle Flies sacrificed himself for Arthur, Dutch left Arthur for dead. 

"What are they gonna..." Arthur paused, looking at the native americans who were now drifting away from the hut, realising what had happened. "Do now?" He finally finished. Charles shook his head in disappointment.

"They must move," He noted. "And fast... I'll stay and help them," Charles stated. Arthur immediately looked back at his friend with a shocked expression. "I'm sorry, Arthur. You know I can't leave them like this. Abigail... she can do it-"

"But John said," Arthur cut him off.

"I know what John said," Charles cut Arthur off. Arthur held his tongue as Charles continued. "I saw how she worked when we stole Hosea and Lenny's bodies. She is capable of doing this, she is one of the best thieves we know," Charles informed. He paused, looking away from Arthur and at the ground before speaking again. "You just have to talk to John."

"John ain't gonna change his mind," Arthur argued. "I-I know you can't leave them, Charles but we need you."

"I'm sorry, Arthur. I can't... it's the least I can do for Rains Fall," Charles apologised. He put a hand on Arthur's shoulder. "I promised I would keep his son safe and I failed. You have others who need you." He removed his hand. "Good people."

The shared silence as Arthur took in everything. Arthur was broken that Charles couldn't help him anymore but he knew Charles was right, it was for the best that he stays and help the tribe move. Arthur gave him a nod before the two hugged. After they hugged, Arthur shook his hand before turning away back to his horse, Charles immediately turning to some nearby natives. 

"I'm sorry but... we must pack and move," Arthur heard Charles informing them. Arthur mounted his horse, preparing for the ride back to camp. 

-

The next morning Arthur dreaded to have the conversation with John. The tension between him and Dutch was real bad, he had confronted Dutch of leaving him behind after Eagle Flies got shot for him. Arthur saw that when he got jumped Dutch had the chance to help him but he didn't, instead the coward walked away. Dutch was happy they got bonds from the oil factory, that was the real reason why Dutch went, not to help Eagle Flies like he preached. Arthur however was there to save Eagle Flies and he couldn't even do that. Arthur spotted John with Jack by his side, standing at Pearson's cooking bench as Pearson handed back a bowl of stew. John smiled at the man, thanking him. 

"John," Arthur announced his presence. John turned around, his hand on top of Jack's head. Jack looked up at Arthur which John quickly looked down at his son.

"Jack, head back to Ma'," John instructed the boy, placing a hand on the boy's back and gently pushing him forward. The boy nodded, heading back to the tent. John stood up straight, looking at Arthur. "I'm sorry about Eagle Flies," John apologised to him. Arthur dismissed it with a simple nod. 

"Yeah... it wouldn't have happened if Dutch helped me." Arthur scratched his chin, his fingers meeting the short hairs of his beard. "What has happened to him?"

"I don't know what to tell you," John sighed. John looked back at Arthur, raising his head a little. "Where's Charles? He didn't come back with you last night."

"He's helping them move," Arthur answered which caused John to frown. 

"What about Grace?" He asked. Arthur stayed quiet before John caught on, immediately shaking his head at him. "No, I already said no," John began marching towards their tent. Arthur followed, not letting John escape him.